Technical Support Engineer job description
A Technical Support Engineer is responsible for providing technical support to clients in person and remotely. Giving such assistance means that it's all about solving problems from the moment they call the customer service line until the caller’s issues are resolved.
This Technical Support Engineer job description template is optimized for posting in online job boards or careers pages. It’s easy to customize with duties and responsibilities when hiring for a support role. Similar job titles include Customer Support, Software Support, Desktop Support, Help Desk and IT Support Engineer.
Technical Support Engineer responsibilities include:
- Taking ownership of customer issues reported and seeing problems through to resolution
- Researching, diagnosing, troubleshooting and identifying solutions to resolve system issues
- Following standard procedures for proper escalation of unresolved issues to the appropriate internal teams
We are looking for a Technical Support Engineer to provide enterprise-level assistance to our customers. You will diagnose and troubleshoot software and hardware problems and help our customers install applications and programs.
Technical Support Engineer responsibilities include resolving network issues, configuring operating systems and using remote desktop connections to provide immediate support. You will use email and chat applications to give clients quick answers to simple IT issues. For more complex problems that require nuanced instruction, you will contact clients via phone and/or provide clear, written instructions and technical manuals.
To be qualified for this role, you should hold a degree in a relevant field, like Computer Science, IT or Software Engineering. Microsoft, Cisco, Linux or similar certification is a plus. If you’re naturally a helper, enjoy assisting people with computer issues and are able to explain technical details simply, we’d like to meet you.
Ultimately, you will be a person our customers trust. They will rely on you to provide timely and accurate solutions to their technical problems.
- Research and identify solutions to software and hardware issues
- Diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues, including account setup and network configuration
- Ask customers targeted questions to quickly understand the root of the problem
- Track computer system issues through to resolution, within agreed time limits
- Talk clients through a series of actions, either via phone, email or chat, until they’ve solved a technical issue
- Properly escalate unresolved issues to appropriate internal teams (e.g. software developers)
- Provide prompt and accurate feedback to customers
- Refer to internal database or external resources to provide accurate tech solutions
- Ensure all issues are properly logged
- Prioritize and manage several open issues at one time
- Follow up with clients to ensure their IT systems are fully functional after troubleshooting
- Prepare accurate and timely reports
- Document technical knowledge in the form of notes and manuals
- Maintain jovial relationships with clients
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Technical Support Engineer, Desktop Support Engineer, IT Help Desk Technician or similar role
- Hands-on experience with Windows/Linux/Mac OS environments
- Good understanding of computer systems, mobile devices and other tech products
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot basic technical issues
- Familiarity with remote desktop applications and help desk software (eg. Zendesk)
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills
- Ability to provide step-by-step technical help, both written and verbal
- BS degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or relevant field
- Additional certification in Microsoft, Linux, Cisco or similar technologies is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Technical Support Engineer do?
A Technical Support Engineer is the go-to person for all computer hardware and software needs. Companies hire them because of their skills in resolving customers' accounts or company issues concerning technical infrastructure management.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Technical Support Engineer?
A Technical Support Engineer provides customer service for computer hardware and software. They troubleshoot issues related to their company's accounts or any other miscellaneous tasks in the field as determined by their manager.
What makes a sound Technical Support Engineer?
Technical Support Engineers must communicate technical issues, no matter the customer's background or experience level. They need all types of people working together in a team environment so that everyone can benefit from clarity on how something works.
Who does a Technical Support Engineer work with?
Technical Support Engineers often work with Customer Service Representatives to properly deliver appropriate assistance to the customer in question.
Hiring Technical Support Engineer job description
Post this Technical Support Engineer job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.