Technical Support Engineer interview questions and answers
This set of Technical Support Engineer interview questions can help you identify candidates with essential skills to add value to your tech support department.
Are you a candidate?Crush your interview with our guide
Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions
Technical Support Engineers handle customers’ issues when your first-level (non-technical) support cannot find a solution. You should be looking for candidates with a solid technical background, while expertise in your industry would be nice to have.
For this role you should hire someone with software development skills, who’s also interested in solving tricky computer science related problems. Keep an eye out for candidates with a natural desire to identify malfunctions and come up with effective solutions in a timely manner. They should be able to take ownership of customer issues and handle them end-to end. You’ll recognize a fit for this position when you discover a person who’s curious and eager to learn about how things function.
Candidates with a strong programming background have the necessary knowledge to fill your position, but are usually more interested in developing rather than supporting. You should, therefore, focus on engineers with previous customer experience, who can combine their communication skills with their technical knowledge. Your ideal candidates should enjoy helping other people solve problems.
Operational and Situational questions
- What are the main functions of BIAS?
- How would you respond to a customer who claims their website is loading too slowly?
- How would you access the Recovery Control in Windows?
- Mention any help desk tools that facilitate client communication.
- What do you find most intriguing about this position?
- Are you familiar with ERP software?
- What remote desktop tools have you used?
- Walk me through the process of a successful customer problem resolution. When is your role complete?
- Describe the procedure for installing antivirus software.
- What kind of customers have you dealt with most?
- Are you familiar with our products? What do you think are our most common customer queries?
- Have you ever faced a customer issue you’ve never heard of before? What did you do?
- Describe a situation where a customer was angry and blaming you for someone else’s mistake. How did you handle it?
- How do you keep up-to-date with current technology trends?
Source and recruit skilled engineers with Workable’s Boolean search cheat sheets.