This IT Help Desk Technician job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
IT Help Desk Technician responsibilities include:
- Serving as the first point of contact for customers seeking technical assistance over the phone or email
- Performing remote troubleshooting through diagnostic techniques and pertinent questions
- Determining the best solution based on the issue and details provided by customers
We are looking for a competent Help desk technician to provide fast and useful technical assistance on computer systems. You will answer queries on basic technical issues and offer advice to solve them.
An excellent Help desk technician must have good technical knowledge and be able to communicate effectively to understand the problem and explain its solution. They must also be customer-oriented and patient to deal with difficult customers.
The goal is to create value for clients that will help preserve the company’s reputation and business.
- Serve as the first point of contact for customers seeking technical assistance over the phone or email
- Perform remote troubleshooting through diagnostic techniques and pertinent questions
- Determine the best solution based on the issue and details provided by customers
- Walk the customer through the problem-solving process
- Direct unresolved issues to the next level of support personnel
- Provide accurate information on IT products or services
- Record events and problems and their resolution in logs
- Follow-up and update customer status and information
- Pass on any feedback or suggestions by customers to the appropriate internal team
- Identify and suggest possible improvements on procedures
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a help desk technician or other customer support role
- Tech savvy with working knowledge of office automation products, databases and remote control
- Good understanding of computer systems, mobile devices and other tech products
- Ability to diagnose and resolve basic technical issues
- Proficiency in English
- Excellent communication skills
- Customer-oriented and cool-tempered
- BSc/BA in IT, Computer Science or relevant field
Frequently asked questions
What does an IT Help Desk Technician do?
IT Help Desk Technicians assist customers with computer systems, hardware, and software. They are often the first point of contact for users when something goes wrong or needs fixing on their machine.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an IT Help Desk Technician?
An IT Help Desk Technician is responsible for providing technical support and assistance. They interact with customers by phone or in-person to resolve their computer problems related to software and hardware issues to help them get back up running smoothly again.
What makes a Good IT Help Desk Technician?
A successful IT Help Desk Technician has good business awareness. Such awareness means understanding the needs of their customers so they can get their problems solved as quickly as possible.
Who does an IT Help Desk Technician work with?
IT Help Desk Technicians work with Desktop Support Engineers to adequately provide their clients with satisfactory service, no matter their problem. Desktop Service works in tandem with IT Service, as one needs the other to perform at its best quality.