This Human Resources (HR) Assistant job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages. As a sample description, it’s easy to customize for your company’s specific needs – add or delete any skills or duties and responsibilities you’d like.
HR Assistant Responsibilities
- Assisting with day to day operations of the HR functions and duties
- Providing clerical and administrative support to Human Resources executives
- Compiling and updating employee records (hard and soft copies)
Hiring an HR assistant? Sign up for Workable’s 15-day free trial to post this job and hire better, faster.
We are looking for an HR Assistant to undertake a variety of HR administrative duties.
What does an HR Assistant do?
The HR Assistant duties involve a wide range of support activities inside our HR department, from coordinating meetings to maintaining our employee database to posting job ads. An important part of your role will be to act as the liaison between HR and employees, ensuring smooth communication and prompt resolution of requests and questions. You’ll also assist in creating policies, processes and documents.
HR Assistant qualifications
HR Assistant skills we’re looking for include excellent organization ability, familiarity with HR software and strong communication skills. To be an ideal candidate for the human resources assistant position, you should also hold an HR-related degree and have some experience in our industry. You should be able to work autonomously and remain calm under pressure. Following our training sessions, you’ll be able to assist HR Managers in the whole recruitment lifecycle (e.g. onboarding new hires and candidate sourcing.)
Ultimately, you’ll ensure our HR department is organized and operates smoothly to attract, hire and retain our employees.
- Assist with day to day operations of the HR functions and duties
- Provide clerical and administrative support to Human Resources executives
- Compile and update employee records (hard and soft copies)
- Process documentation and prepare reports relating to personnel activities (staffing, recruitment, training, grievances, performance evaluations etc)
- Coordinate HR projects (meetings, training, surveys etc) and take minutes
- Deal with employee requests regarding human resources issues, rules, and regulations
- Assist in payroll preparation by providing relevant data (absences, bonus, leaves, etc)
- Communicate with public services when necessary
- Properly handle complaints and grievance procedures
- Coordinate communication with candidates and schedule interviews
- Conduct initial orientation to newly hired employees
- Assist our recruiters to source candidates and update our database
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as an HR Assistant, Staff Assistant or relevant human resources/administrative position
- Fast computer typing skills (MS Office, in particular)
- Hands-on experience with an HRIS or HRMS
- Familiarity with ATS software and resume databases
- Basic knowledge of labor laws
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong communications skills
- Degree in Human Resources or related field
Download this HR assistant job description pdf sample for free.
Frequently asked questions
- What does an HR Assistant do?
- An HR Assistant oversees all operations in an organization that deals with employee issues. They work with Recruiters and other Human Resources staff members to make paperwork more efficient.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of an HR Assistant?
- An HR Assistant has a variety of responsibilities based on their organization, but in general, they support the human resources operations and procedures by administering tests, scheduling appointments and leading orientation for new employees.
- What makes a good HR Assistant?
- A good HR Assistant needs to have strong communication skills, including good listening and speaking skills, to communicate with employees about sensitive matters. They also need to write well enough to organize information efficiently.
- Who does an HR Assistant work with?
- HR Assistants usually work under the supervision of an HR Director to help conduct interviews, organize paperwork and process benefits for employees.