This Director of Operations job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Director of Operations responsibilities include:
- Liaising with superior to make decisions for operational activities and set strategic goals
- Planning and monitoring the day-to-day running of business to ensure smooth progress
- Supervising staff from different departments and provide constructive feedback
We are looking for an experienced Director of Operations to organize and oversee the daily operations of our company. You will be the one to ensure that our business is well-coordinated and productive by managing its procedures and coaching its people.
The area of responsibility for this role is very wide and thus requires thorough knowledge of various company processes. The ideal candidate must be competent and able to plan many different kinds of operational activities. He/She must be an excellent leader who can discover the most efficient ways to run the business.
The goal is to safeguard and augment the efficiency of the company’s operations to facilitate accelerating development and long-term success.
- Liaise with superior to make decisions for operational activities and set strategic goals
- Plan and monitor the day-to-day running of business to ensure smooth progress
- Supervise staff from different departments and provide constructive feedback
- Evaluate regularly the efficiency of business procedures according to organizational objectives and apply improvements
- Manage procurement processes and coordinate material and resources allocation
- Oversee customer support processes and organize them to enhance customer satisfaction
- Review financial information and adjust operational budgets to promote profitability
- Revise and/or formulate policies and promote their implementation
- Manage relationships/agreements with external partners/vendors
- Evaluate overall performance by gathering, analyzing and interpreting data and metrics
- Ensure that the company runs with legality and conformity to established regulations
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as Director of Operations or equivalent position
- Excellent organizational and leadership abilities
- Outstanding communication and people skills
- Knowledge of industry’s legal rules and guidelines
- In depth knowledge of diverse business functions and principles (e.g. supply chain, finance, customer service etc.)
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Familiarity with MS Office and various business software (e.g. ERP, CRM)
- BSc/BA in business administration or relevant field; MSc/MA will be a plus
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Director of Operations do?
- The Director of Operations is responsible for overseeing many activities in a business and can be located anywhere. In addition, they direct the coordination across different departments to identify areas needing improvement.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Director of Operations?
- A Director of Operations makes sure that all aspects are covered and that company goals are met. They are responsible for everything from negotiations to budgeting and purchasing. In addition, they work closely with senior management in developing long-term operational strategies that help meet company objectives.
- What makes a good Director of Operations?
- A good Director of Operations needs to have excellent communication and organizational skills since they need to interact with staff across different departments.
- Who does a Director of Operations work with?
- The Director of Operations is the bridge between company management and all other departments. To ensure the well-being of a company, they must work with various department leaders like the Head of Operations to ensure departments are operating as efficiently as possible.