This Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
What is a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)?
A Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is a senior executive who oversees the daily administrative operations of an organization. They provide input for strategic planning, set goals for departments, collaborate on policy implementation, and ensure the smooth running of business according to established policies and vision. A CAO reports directly to the CEO and plays a critical role in the overall performance and success of the organization.
What does a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) do?
A Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) is responsible for managing and coordinating the administrative functions of an organization. They provide input for business and strategic planning, set goals for departments and individual managers, collaborate with colleagues to implement policies and develop improvements, oversee resource allocation and budgeting, and provide guidance to subordinate staff. Additionally, a CAO resolves issues that may arise, ensures timely reporting to senior management or regulatory agencies, and may assist in other tasks such as fundraising.
Chief Administrative Officer responsibilities include:
- Providing input for business and strategic planning
- Setting goals for departments and individual managers
- Collaborating with colleagues to implement policies and develop improvements
We are seeking an experienced Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) to oversee and manage daily administrative operations. As a key member of the top executive team, you will report directly to the CEO and play a critical role in our overall performance.
If you possess exceptional organizational skills, a strategic mindset, and the ability to maintain order in a fast-paced environment, we would love to meet you. We are looking for someone who is highly efficient and a natural leader, capable of providing direction and guidance to the administrative team.
Your primary objective will be to ensure the smooth functioning of our business in alignment with established policies and our long-term vision, contributing to our continued success.
In summary, we are seeking a dynamic and experienced Chief Administrative Officer who can effectively manage daily operations, provide strategic direction, and ensure the successful execution of our organizational goals and vision.
- Provide input in business and strategic planning
- Set goals for departments and individual managers
- Collaborate with colleagues to implement policies and develop improvements
- Organize and coordinate inter- and intradepartmental operations
- Oversee resource allocation and budgeting
- Provide guidance to subordinate staff and evaluate performance
- Resolve issues that may arise in a timely manner
- Assume responsibility for timely reporting to senior management or regulatory agencies
- Assist in other tasks (e.g. fundraising) as assigned
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as an administrative officer
- Experience in operations management
- Solid understanding of business functions (HR, finance etc.)
- Knowledge of fiscal planning, budgeting and reporting
- Knowledge of relevant laws and regulations (e.g. SEC)
- Proficient in MS Office and databases
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability in decision-making and problem-solving
- Excellent organizational and leaderships skills
- BSc/BA in business administration or relevant field; MSc/MA is a definite plus
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) do?
- A Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) oversees daily administrative operations, provides input for business planning, sets goals, collaborates with colleagues, and ensures smooth business operations.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)?
- Duties of a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) include strategic planning, goal-setting, policy implementation, coordination of operations, resource allocation, performance evaluation, issue resolution, and timely reporting.
- What makes a good Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)?
- A good Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) possesses efficiency, strategic vision, leadership skills, strong organization, and communication skills. They must be knowledgeable in business functions and regulations, and capable of decision-making and problem-solving.
- Who does a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) work with?
- A Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) works closely with top executives, including the CEO, and collaborates with colleagues across departments to implement policies and drive improvements.
- What skills should a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) have?
- A Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) should have proven experience in administrative roles, operations management, business functions, fiscal planning, and reporting. Strong communication, decision-making, problem-solving, organizational, and leadership skills are essential.