Video Editor responsibilities include:
- Manipulating and editing film pieces in a way that is invisible to the audience
- Taking a brief to grasp production team’s needs and specifications
- Reviewing shooting script and raw material to create a shot decision list based on scenes’ value and contribution to continuity
We are looking for a talented Video Editor to assemble recorded footage into a finished project that matches director’s vision and is suitable for broadcasting.
Ultimately, as a Film and Video Editor, you should be able to bring sight and sound together in order to tell a cohesive story
- Manipulate and edit film pieces in a way that is invisible to the audience
- Take a brief to grasp production team’s needs and specifications
- Review shooting script and raw material to create a shot decision list based on scenes’ value and contribution to continuity
- Trim footage segments and put together the sequence of the film
- Input music, dialogues, graphics and effects
- Create rough and final cuts
- Ensure logical sequencing and smooth running
- Consult with stakeholders from production to post-production process
- Continuously discover and implement new editing technologies and industry’s best practices to maximize efficiency.
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Video Editor
- Solid experience with digital technology and editing software packages (e.g. Avid Media Composer, Lightworks, Premiere, After Effects and Final Cut)
- Demonstrable video editing ability with a strong portfolio
- Thorough knowledge of timing, motivation and continuity
- Familiarity with special effects, 3D and compositing
- Creative mind and storytelling skills
- BS degree in film studies, cinematography or related field
Frequently asked questions
What does a Video Editor do?
A Video Editor’s role ranges from reviewing footage and using computer software tools to split or combine clips into cohesive units to adding sounds and graphics according to the project requirements. They also watch the finished product after they're done to ensure there are no mistakes before submitting it to be reviewed.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Video Editor?
The video editor is responsible for assembling raw footage and transferring or uploading it to a computer. They follow the script and screenplay/outline. They add sound effects that enhance what's being shown on-screen through music selections plus voice-over; these additions help bring everything together into one smooth cutscene ready upload.
What makes a good Video Editor?
Good Video Editors are storytellers, listeners, and problem solvers all in one. They have a great eye for quality and attention to detail which is imperative when it comes time to edit videos.
Who does a Video Editor work with?
Video Editors work with a film crew and director who help shape the vision for the video. They often will work closely with an Animator, who participates in the editing process.