This Video Editor interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Video Editor Interview Questions
To hire a talented video editor, begin with their portfolio. Use their work samples as a conversation starter and ask questions that delve into their work process and specific technical skills. In some circumstances, employers ask candidates to edit raw video as a take home test, and schedule interviews with the most promising candidates.
If there are skills you need beyond the scope of basic video editing, be sure to address these in the interview. If you want your new hire to shoot additional video, add motion graphics, use special equipment or work under specific conditions, be sure to address these in the interview, go ahead and add your own questions about these topics.
Interviews are also a great opportunity to learn about your candidates’ soft skills. How well do they take feedback? How comfortable are they with presenting their work to management and stakeholders? All of this is valuable information that you can use to hire the right video editor for your team.
Video Editing Questions
- As a video editor, whose work do you admire? What do you like to watch in your own time?
- How do you stay updated on the latest tools and trends?
- Do you have any side projects you’d like to mention?
- Who would be your ideal client to work for?
- What video editing software have you used before?
- Describe a time you encountered a technical challenge in your career. How did you overcome it?
- How do you present your work at client or stakeholder meetings?
- What would you do if your most important client hated your work?
- How do you know when a project is a success?
- Which of your work samples do you consider to be your best work?
- Where did you start on [this work sample?] What images, copy, budget, or guidelines were you given to begin?
- How much time did it take to create this piece?
- How do you start a project like this? How do you know when you are done?
- Describe a time you worked with a multidisciplinary team on a complex project.
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial