Hiring construction workers may prove tough in the current market, where unemployment is low and talent scarce. But, it’s not impossible to find great employees – you just need a targeted strategy.
Here are 5 tips to help you find the best construction workers for your company:
1. Write a good job ad
To attract candidates to your job openings, the first thing you need is a good job description. It needs to be informative (with clear duties and requirements) and transparent (e.g. outline the needs for physical labor or overtime work). Also, you need an attractive statement about your company, such as projects you’ve taken in the past, or perks and benefits you offer.
Wondering where to start? Here’s our library of construction job descriptions.
2. Post on effective job boards
Job boards like Indeed, Monster and Craigslist may help you reach out to qualified candidates. But, if you notice a shortage of relevant applications – assuming your job ad is written well – you may need to turn to niche job boards. For example, depending on where you’re hiring, check out Construction Jobs in the U.S., Careers in Construction in the UK, Canadian Construction Jobs, and so on. Here’s our list with the best construction job boards.
3. Offer apprenticeships
Your best construction workers may not be construction workers yet. For example, if you need carpenters, painters, welders, or other skilled workers in the long-term, a good solution would be to train recent graduates. To do this, you could partner with schools and other companies. Advertise your apprenticeship programs, too, to increase the visibility of opportunities you offer.
4. Use referrals
Who knows great construction workers? Your existing employees. Referred employees tend to stay longer at a company and they’re better culture fits. So, ask your employees if they can refer someone for your open roles. To make the process easier, you can use a platform to send messages to employees, keep track of referrals and help employees easily upload their referred person.
What does a referral platform look like? Get a demo to see how you can streamline the process and get more qualified candidates.
5. Look for veterans
Military veterans often have skills that are easily transferable into a business. For example, they may have experience building structures, driving, or other disciplines useful in construction. And, they’re available to start a new career. So why not reach out to organizations that support veterans (e.g. Hiring Our Heroes, CareerOneStop, VA.gov) or post on job boards for veterans (e.g. Military.com, HiringVeterans.com). Maybe your next best hire is there. Find more information on our complete guide to hiring veterans.
If you follow these tips when hiring construction workers, your hiring process can become much easier. Ensure you also provide candidates with a positive candidate experience to strengthen your employer brand and make hiring better in the long run.
Frequently asked questions
- What is the best way to recruit construction workers?
- The best way to recruit construction workers involves writing an engaging job posting with a detailed description. This helps attract the right workers who are well-suited for the specific requirements and demands of the job.
- How do you recruit in the construction industry?
- Recruiting in the construction industry requires a long-term perspective and openness to hiring early on during projects. It's also important to highlight all benefits offered by the position, not just pay rates or salary requirements, to attract qualified candidates.
- What is a construction recruiter?
- A construction recruiter is responsible for finding talent and staffing various positions in the construction industry. They work closely with multiple companies or a single large business, often across their region, to meet all staffing needs.
- What are effective job boards for construction recruitment?
- Job boards like Indeed, Monster, and Craigslist can help reach out to qualified candidates. However, niche job boards like Construction Jobs in the U.S., Careers in Construction in the UK, and Canadian Construction Jobs can be more effective for specific regions.
- Why should companies consider offering apprenticeships?
- Offering apprenticeships can be a great way to train recent graduates into skilled workers like carpenters, painters, and welders. This long-term solution involves partnering with schools and other companies and advertising the apprenticeship programs.