Use this Translator job description template to attract qualified candidates. Feel free to modify language requirements based on your needs.
What is a Translator?
A Translator is a professional who specializes in converting written or spoken material from one language to another while maintaining the original meaning, format, and tone. They play a crucial role in facilitating communication and understanding between different language speakers.
What does a Translator do?
A Translator reads and comprehends given material, researches industry-specific terminology, and uses specialized dictionaries and translation tools to convert text and audio recordings from one language to one or more others. They ensure that the translated content accurately conveys the original meaning and tone. Translators also proofread and edit their work, collaborate with team members and clients, and stay updated on new translation tools and practices.
Translator responsibilities include:
- Reading material and researching industry-specific terminology
- Converting text and audio recordings in one language to one or more others
- Ensuring translated texts conveys original meaning and tone
We are seeking a skilled Translator to accurately interpret written and audio pieces in various languages while preserving their original meaning, format, and tone.
As a Translator, your responsibilities will include carefully reading and comprehending the context of the given material, utilizing specialized dictionaries and translation tools, and meticulously proofreading the final translations. Success in this role requires exceptional attention to detail and fluency in at least two additional languages, in addition to your native language.
Your primary objective will be to deliver high-quality translated content that aligns with our internal requirements and enables us to effectively engage a broader audience.
If you possess strong linguistic abilities and a passion for language, we encourage you to join our team as we strive to bridge communication gaps and foster multilingual understanding.
- Read given material and research industry-specific terminology
- Convert text and audio recordings from one language to one or more others
- Ensure translated content conveys original meaning and tone
- Prepare subtitles for videos and online presentations
- Cross-reference specialized dictionaries and translation tools to check quality of translation
- Proofread translated texts for grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy
- Follow up with internal team members and clients to ensure translation meets their needs
- Edit content with an eye toward maintaining its original format (e.g. font and structure)
- Network with field experts to stay current on new translation tools and practices
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Translator, Interpreter or similar role
- Fluency in at least two languages in addition to your native language
- Excellent proofreading skills with the ability to identify grammar, spelling and punctuation errors
- Good knowledge of content editing tools
- Familiarity with translation software
- Time-management skills
- BSc in Translation, Interpreting or similar field
- Additional certification in Linguistics is a plus
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Translator do?
- A Translator converts written or spoken material from one language to another, ensuring the original meaning, format, and tone are maintained.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Translator?
- A Translator reads and researches material, translates text and audio recordings, proofreads and edits translations, prepares subtitles, collaborates with team members and clients, and stays updated on translation tools and practices.
- What makes a good Translator?
- A good Translator has a keen eye for detail, fluency in multiple languages, excellent proofreading skills, familiarity with translation software, time-management skills, and a strong understanding of grammar and punctuation.
- Who does a Translator work with?
- A Translator works with clients, internal team members, and field experts to meet translation needs and ensure accuracy and quality.
- What skills should a Translator have?
- A Translator should have fluency in multiple languages, excellent proofreading skills, knowledge of translation software, time-management skills, and a degree in translation or a related field.