This Staff Writer job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Staff Writer Responsibilities
- Performing research on different topics
- Analyzing and interpreting findings by breaking down data
- Uncovering newsworthy stories
We are looking for an enthusiastic staff writer to join our editorial team. You will work closely with the editor-in-chief, reporters and freelancers.
As a staff writer, you should be able to perform thorough research on various topics and have a keen eye for detail.
Ultimately, you should be able to deliver good quality content like news posts, reviews and features.
- Perform research on different topics
- Analyze and interpret findings by breaking down data
- Uncover newsworthy stories
- Interview key people (witnesses, sources etc.)
- Write content with readers needs in mind
- Ensure your pieces are accurate and objective
- Establish contacts and sources to use in future research
- Maintain notes in written or electronic form
- Contribute to content idea generation for publication
- Stay up-to-date with local, national and international affairs
- Proven work experience as a staff writer or reporter
- Demonstrable portfolio of published articles
- Computer proficiency (MS Office, digital editing, web search and databases)
- Excellent writing skills in English
- Ability to follow strict deadlines and fact-check information
- Good observation skills
- Broad knowledge of headlines
- BSc degree in journalism, communications or relevant field
- Tutorial: How to hire freelancers