What is a shift supervisor?
Shift supervisors work in retail, warehouses, or hospitality (e.g. restaurants, cafes) and coordinate the daily operations during a shift. They are in charge of maintaining high productivity and a consistently positive customer experience. They usually report to the shift manager or the production supervisor.
What does a shift supervisor do?
A shift supervisor overviews the daily activities and how employees perform during their shift. They are responsible for maximizing customer satisfaction through handling requests or complaints. They are also in charge of maintaining a tidy and organized workspace stocked with essential supplies, while ensuring that production or service runs smoothly.
Shift supervisor duties include:
- Monitoring daily employee performance
- Ensuring customer satisfaction
- Managing employee schedules
We are looking for a skilled shift supervisor to help us create an awesome customer experience and keep things in good order.
On a daily basis, you’ll supervise employees during your shift and make sure that they complete their tasks and are motivated to work effectively. Shift supervisor skills include contributing to the production strategy by knowing the business goals and how to achieve them. You’ll also act as a reference point for employees and customers, ready to fix problems that occasionally arise.
Ultimately, you’ll help maintain our business reputation by ensuring daily duties are completed and goals are met.
- Manage daily schedules, employee shifts, and time-off requests
- Assign duties to employees and oversee their progress
- Ensure that daily sales/production goals are met
- Count cash at the end of the shift and manage bank deposits
- Train and integrate new workers
- Provide guidance and feedback to employees when needed
- Ensure industry rules and regulations are followed
- Handle customer and employee complaints
- Resolve conflicts between employees
- Transfer products and other objects to and from the worksite on occasion
Requirements and skills
- Previous experience as a Shift Supervisor or similar role
- Full understanding of industry safety standards
- Comprehensive knowledge of basic software, such as Word and Excel
- The ability to meet the physical demands of the job, such as standing up for long hours and lifting heavy loads occasionally
- Working well within a team
- Ability to multitask
- Leadership and conflict-management skills
- High School Diploma; A degree in Management is a plus
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Shift Supervisor do?
- Shift Supervisors help set performance metrics, resolve problems and troubleshoot issues as they arise without management direction in order for team members to complete their tasks effectively. They work to ultimately lead the company toward success by ensuring all safety guidelines have been met along with meeting federal employment requirements; this includes maintaining proper hours per shift.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Shift Supervisor?
- A Shift Supervisor is responsible for overseeing all business operations on their own. They also delegate tasks to team members to focus primarily on resolving problems during shifts, including balancing cash registers, evaluating inventory, and organizing employee responsibilities to improve efficiency and customer service.
- What makes a good Shift Supervisor?
- A good Shift Supervisor has excellent communication skills. They should know how and when compromise can help the customer while still keeping them happy so they will come back for future visits. They will lead their employees with integrity and approachability.
- Who does a Shift Supervisor work with?
- Shift Supervisors work with their employees, lead them during a shift, and make sure customers get what they need without issue or delay. They usually report to the Shift Manager or the Production Supervisor.