This Program Manager job description template is optimized for posting to online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Program Manager responsibilities include:
- Formulating, organizing and monitoring inter-connected projects
- Deciding on suitable strategies and objectives
- Coordinating cross-project activities
We are looking for an experienced Program Manager to organize and coordinate programs. You will provide strategic guidance to teams and project managers in ways that promote the company’s culture. You will also oversee the progress of operations.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent leader and will have experience in managing staff of different disciplines to produce results in a timely manner. They will also be able to develop efficient strategies and tactics.
The goal is to ensure that all programs deliver the desirable outcome to our organization.
- Formulate, organize and monitor inter-connected projects
- Decide on suitable strategies and objectives
- Coordinate cross-project activities
- Lead and evaluate project managers and other staff
- Develop and control deadlines, budgets and activities
- Apply change, risk and resource management
- Assume responsibility for the program’s people and vendors
- Assess program performance and aim to maximize ROI
- Resolve projects’ higher scope issues
- Prepare reports for program directors
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a Program Manager or other managerial position
- Thorough understanding of project/program management techniques and methods
- Excellent Knowledge of performance evaluation and change management principles
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office; working knowledge of program/project management software (Basecamp, MS Project etc.) is a strong advantage
- Outstanding leadership and organizational skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving ability
- BSc/BA diploma in management or a relevant field; MSc/MA is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Program Manager do?
Program Managers are in charge of coordinating smaller projects with objectives that measure up to company-wide goals. They work closely and maintain a delicate balance in daily project management to ensure more extensive picture programs succeed.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Program Manager?
Program Managers are responsible for creating new ideas, managing budgets and timelines on projects and developing long-term plans following company direction.
What makes a good Program Manager?
Program Managers need foresight and anticipation to bring authority to the team with influence from past experiences. They should also know how best to leverage lessons learned to succeed.
Who does a Program Manager work with?
Program Managers typically oversee Project Managers on the progress of the operations of individual projects within programs.