Program Director responsibilities include:
- Initiating and setting goals for programs according to the strategic objectives of the organization
- Planning the programs from start to completion involving deadlines, milestones and processes
- Developing or approving budgets and operations
We are looking for an experienced Program Director to supervise a wide range of programs. You will be responsible for the delivery and overall success of each program. You will supervise managers and inform management on progress and performance.
A successful Program Director must have a broad knowledge of program management principles. They must have a strategic mindset as well as be able to lead and develop their subordinates.
The goal is to ensure every program will be delivered successfully and add the highest possible value to the organization.
- Initiate and set goals for programs according to the strategic objectives of the organization
- Plan the programs from start to completion involving deadlines, milestones and processes
- Develop or approve budgets and operations
- Devise evaluation strategies to monitor performance and determine the need for improvements
- Supervise all program and project managers involved to provide feedback and resolve complex problems
- Discover ways to enhance efficiency and productivity of procedures and people
- Apply change, risk and resource management principles when needed
- Read reports prepared by managers to determine progress and issues
- Ensure program operations and activities adhere to legal guidelines and internal policies
- Keep senior management informed with detailed and accurate reports or presentations
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as program director or other managerial position
- Thorough understanding of project/program management techniques and methods
- Excellent Knowledge of performance evaluation techniques and key metrics
- Outstanding knowledge of data analysis, reporting and budgeting
- Working knowledge of MS office and program management software (e.g. Basecamp, MS Project etc.)
- A business acumen with a strategic ability
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- An analytical mindset with great problem-solving abilities
- Excellent communication skills
- BSc/BA diploma in management or a relevant field; MSc/MA is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Program Director do?
A Program Director is responsible for the success of each program they oversee. In addition, they research, plan, and implement outreach services that will ensure a successful outcome on behalf of their client organization. Their overall goal is to ensure that all programs are efficiently delivered and add value to the company.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Program Director?
Program Directors are responsible for researching, planning, and implementing programs that keep their organization running. They lead large group discussions to answer questions or remedy complaints; they create an environment of open communication within the company by collaborating with other departments on decision-making responsibilities and initiating new goal-setting initiatives.
What makes a good Program Director?
A successful Program Director needs to have a strategic mindset and the ability to lead and develop their subordinates. They can multitask with ease, problem-solve effectively, and communicate both written and verbally.
Who does a Program Director work with?
A Program Director typically works alongside other team members such as Program Administrators. They both are responsible for coordinating operations and ensuring that all tasks are carried out efficiently with quality.