This Program Director job description template is optimized for posting to online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Program Director Responsibilities
- Initiating and setting goals for programs according to the strategic objectives of the organization
- Planning the programs from start to completion involving deadlines, milestones and processes
- Developing or approving budgets and operations
We are looking for an experienced Program Director to supervise a wide range of programs. You will be responsible for the delivery and overall success of each program. You will supervise managers and inform management on progress and performance.
A successful Program Director must have a broad knowledge of program management principles. They must have a strategic mindset as well as be able to lead and develop their subordinates.
The goal is to ensure every program will be delivered successfully and add the highest possible value to the organization.
- Initiate and set goals for programs according to the strategic objectives of the organization
- Plan the programs from start to completion involving deadlines, milestones and processes
- Develop or approve budgets and operations
- Devise evaluation strategies to monitor performance and determine the need for improvements
- Supervise all program and project managers involved to provide feedback and resolve complex problems
- Discover ways to enhance efficiency and productivity of procedures and people
- Apply change, risk and resource management principles when needed
- Read reports prepared by managers to determine progress and issues
- Ensure program operations and activities adhere to legal guidelines and internal policies
- Keep senior management informed with detailed and accurate reports or presentations
- Proven experience as program director or other managerial position
- Thorough understanding of project/program management techniques and methods
- Excellent Knowledge of performance evaluation techniques and key metrics
- Outstanding knowledge of data analysis, reporting and budgeting
- Working knowledge of MS office and program management software (e.g. Basecamp, MS Project etc.)
- A business acumen with a strategic ability
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- An analytical mindset with great problem-solving abilities
- Excellent communication skills
- BSc/BA diploma in management or a relevant field; MSc/MA is a plus