Senior Project Manager interview questions and answers
Use these sample Senior Project Manager interview questions to identify potential hires for your open roles. Feel free to modify these questions to meet your specific needs.
Are you a candidate?Crush your interview with our guide
Senior Project Manager Interview Questions
Senior Project Managers are responsible for the entire project cycle, from gathering requirements and creating action plans to tracking progress and delivering completed products.
During your interview process, test candidates for their knowledge of systems and programs that you use. Qualified candidates will provide detailed explanations on how they approach each situation and how they cooperate with internal teams to reach project goals. It’s best to identify candidates with experience in various industries and products. They will be equipped to select the best methodology for all kinds of projects.
Beyond technical skills, your ideal candidates will be able to handle challenges, like unexpected changes in resources or product requirements. Look for potential hires who can take accountability and go off-script to find the best solutions. They should also be able to maintain a healthy and productive work environment for the entire team.
Operational and Situational questions
- What kind of diagrams/flowcharts would you use to describe X project?
- You’re working on a project for an important client and they keep changing their requirements. How would you handle this?
- How would you explain to a customer and your manager that you won’t be able to complete a project on time?
- How would you motivate a disengaged team member?
- What would you do if there were conflicts on your team about which tasks to prioritize?
- What project management software have you used?
- What is Agile methodology and what are its pros and cons?
- What is the most important stage in the project management cycle? Why?
- How do you keep track of everyone’s work?
- What performance appraisal methods do you use for your team?
- What information do you gather before creating a project timeline?
- Have you ever dealt with conflicts of interest on a project? If so, how did you handle them?
- How often do you meet with your team during a project? Do you prefer to meet with the entire team or just team leaders? Why?
- Describe one of your most challenging projects so far. Why was it challenging and what did you do to overcome difficulties?
- How do you approach assigning tasks? When do you decide to delegate and when do you make the call to handle a task directly?
- Describe a time when you realized your current management approach wasn’t working (e.g. you would go off-budget or fall behind schedule.) How did you respond?