This Office Clerk job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Office Clerk responsibilities include:
- Maintaining files and records so they remain updated and easily accessible
- Sorting and distributing incoming mail and prepare outgoing mail
- Answering the phone to take messages or redirecting calls to appropriate colleagues
We are looking for a competent Office Clerk to perform various administrative and clerical tasks to support our offices. You will undertake a variety of activities in the office ranging from filing and answering the phone to basic bookkeeping.
An effective office clerk has the ability to work diligently to help maintain smooth office operations. You must be reliable and hardworking with great communication skills. The ideal candidate will also be familiar with office equipment and procedures.
- Maintain files and records so they remain updated and easily accessible
- Sort and distribute incoming mail and prepare outgoing mail (envelopes, packages, etc.)
- Answer the phone to take messages or redirect calls to appropriate colleagues
- Utilize office appliances such as photocopier, printers etc. and computers for word processing, spreadsheet creation etc.
- Undertake basic bookkeeping tasks and issue invoices, checks etc.
- Take minutes of meetings and dictations
- Assist in office management and organization procedures
- Monitor stocks of office supplies (paper clips, stationery etc.) and report when there are shortages
- Assist in making travel arrangements and booking venues for conferences and events
- Perform other office duties as assigned
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as office clerk or other clerical position
- Familiarity with office procedures and basic accounting principles
- Working knowledge of office devices and processes
- A fast typist with knowledge in stenography and taking dictations
- Very good knowledge of MS Office
- Excellent communication skills
- Very good organizational and multi-tasking abilities
- High school diploma
Frequently asked questions
What does an Office Clerk do?
Office Clerks can work in various environments like schools, healthcare facilities, government offices and other business offices. They keep offices running smoothly by performing administrative tasks such as filing, printing copies, sorting & distributing mail, answering phones and taking messages.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an Office Clerk?
An Office Clerk’s responsibilities include answering phones, taking messages, handling mail and scheduling appointments. Other everyday duties include collecting information, faxing, scanning, making copies and data entry.
What makes a good Office Clerk?
An Office Clerks’ tasks and responsibilities are dynamic and multifaceted. Therefore, a good Office Clerk must be personable, helpful and an effective communicator. Other important skills include great attention to detail and excellent computer and customer service skills.
Who does an Office Clerk work with?
Office Clerks work with a variety of professionals depending on their work setting. Generally, they report to Office Managers. However, in larger establishments, they may report to a department manager.