Mail Clerk job description
A Mail Clerk is an individual who manages and distributes mail within a company. They receive, sort, and deliver mail to different departments, ensuring efficient communication. Their responsibilities include organizing incoming and outgoing mail and ensuring prompt delivery to the intended recipients.
Mail Clerk responsibilities include:
- Sorting incoming mail by department, location and category
- Keeping records of sent and received mail
- Preparing envelopes and packages
We are looking for a Mail Clerk to handle, sort and distribute envelopes and packages.
In this role, you should be diligent and reliable. You should have attention to detail, good literacy skills and the ability to remain calm and productive when handling urgent mail or postage mistakes.
Your goal will be to ensure our mail reaches its recipients in good condition.
- Sign for incoming registered or certified mail
- Sort mail by department, location or category (e.g. bills, notices, personal)
- Stamp and record date of receipt and sender’s name
- Keep records of incoming packages, including their weight, return address and description
- Collect and prepare correspondence to be mailed (e.g. applying appropriate stamps, verifying addresses)
- Correct and reforward misdirected mail
- Arrange for express delivery when needed
- Distribute mail to individuals or departments
- Track mailroom supplies (e.g. stamps, envelopes, address labels)
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a Mail Clerk or Office Clerk
- Experience with mail sorting and postage meter machines is a plus
- Good computer skills
- Well-organized, with sharp attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good communication and literacy skills
- High school diploma preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Mail Clerk do?
Mail Clerks are responsible for processing and distributing mail throughout a company. Their primary responsibilities include sorting by department or category, forwarding misdirected deliveries if necessary, maintaining an inventory of outgoing mailing supplies so that they can be located when needed, and lastly, delivering new pieces to their appropriate destinations.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Mail Clerk?
A Mail Clerk sorts mail by department and category, utilizing sorting machines and similar administrative technology. They also manage outgoing messages and packages; ensure proper labeling and packaging of posts going out with delivery companies such as FedEx. Their responsibilities also entail forwarding misdirected mail and keeping inventories up-to-date on all mailing supplies like envelopes or stamps.
What makes a good Mail Clerk?
Good Mail Clerks work well in high-pressure environments, where they use their computer skills to process mail and verbal communication and interpersonal relations for cohesiveness between team members, all while working on their own without supervision.
Who does a Mail Clerk work with?
A Mail Clerk will be distributing mail amongst all departments within their company. They will also be working closely with the postal services and the Office Clerk, who helps handle incoming and outgoing mail.
Hiring Mail Clerk job description
Post this Mail Clerk job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.