Medical Administrative Assistant job description
A Medical Administrative Assistant is a healthcare professional that works in an administrative capacity within hospitals, healthcare facilities, and clinics. They are frequently the first person the patient will interact with, assisting them with scheduling appointments, updating patient history, and working with insurance.
This Medical Administrative Assistant job description template lists all essential responsibilities and skills to help you attract the best medical assistants to help manage your medical facility. Similar job titles include Medical Support Assistant.
We are looking for a Medical administrative assistant to organize our medical facility’s functions. You will support day-to-day operations by performing administrative tasks and ensuring high quality customer service for our patients.
As a Medical administrative assistant, you will perform various tasks on a daily basis. So, you should be able to multitask and prioritize. We also expect you to handle sensitive information confidentially. If you are able to combine exceptional communication skills with an ability to perform ‘behind the scenes’ tasks, we would like to meet you.
Ultimately, you should be able to ensure our medical facility’s smooth operation by accurately completing administrative tasks in a timely manner.
- Interview patients for case histories prior to appointments
- Update and maintain patients’ health records
- Assist patients with initial paperwork
- Schedule and coordinate appointments
- Process insurance claims in compliance with law requirements
- Use medical software to support all transactions
- Manage receivable and payable accounts and maintain financial records
- Answer patients’ queries and ensure quality customer service
- Collaborate with doctors and nurses to help with medical examinations, schedule tests and order supplies
- Ensure compliance with procedures
- Keep up-to-date with changes in medical and insurance legislation
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a Medical administrative assistant
- Hands on experience with medical software and MS Office
- Knowledge of healthcare operations
- Familiarity with medical and insurance legislation
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills
- Customer-oriented communication skills
- High school diploma; certification in medical administration is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Medical Administrative Assistant do?
A Medical Administrative Assistant helps in keeping the hospital or facility running smoothly by handling the day-to-day administrative tasks.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Medical Administrative Assistant?
The responsibilities of a Medical Administrative Assistant change on a daily basis and depends on the type of facility they work at. A few of these include checking in patients for appointments, scheduling appointments, answering phones, maintaining patient records, and working with insurance companies for billing.
What makes a good Medical Administrative Assistant?
A good Medical Administrative Assistant has many different skills, such as decision-making, interpersonal skills, organization, and communication.
Who does a Medical Administrative Assistant work with?
A Medical Administrative Assistant interacts with both physicians and patients. They communicate with vendors and insurance companies via phone and email. They typically report to Medical Office Manager or Physicians themselves if in a smaller office or clinic.
Hiring Medical Administrative Assistant job description
Post this Medical Administrative Assistant job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.