Health Unit Coordinator Interview Questions
Health unit coordinators (HUC) have an administrative role in a healthcare setting. They are the first person to greet patients and their families and the first person medical staff will go to for clerical needs.
HUCs typically graduate from 6-month training programs and some may acquire certification afterwards. Depending on the position’s responsibility, you can choose whether you want to hire someone with experience or someone who has recently graduated and is eager to put their skills into use. Another thing to consider is that HUCs often progress to become registered nurses. Think about whether you need someone who will stick around for this position or someone with the potential to become a valuable member of the medical team.
Ask questions that will explore their efficiency and knowledge of clerical procedures. Questions specifically designed for a medical setting will give you a better idea of how well equipped they are for this position (e.g. medical terminology). Look for candidates that show positivity, communication skill and good stress management. Assign bonus points to candidates who can explain the position’s importance and know a lot about your facility and values.
Operational and Situational questions
- If a physician asked you to graph vital signs for a patient and at the same time two new patients walked in, how would you prioritize?
- How would you handle a panicked family member of a patient who wanted to see them at a time when doctors don’t allow it?
- How can working here be beneficial to you?
- Why do you think a HUC is important for a healthcare facility?
- What are the most important qualities a HUC must possess?
- How fast can you type?
- What do you do to maintain attention to detail when compiling medical records?
- What does excellent customer service mean for an HUC?
- Have you used a CDSS (clinical decision support system) before?
- What does pt/PHI/other abbreviation stand for?
- Tell me about a time you had too many things to do at the same time. How did you manage without losing your patience?
- Recall a time you had a conflict with someone in your team. How did you handle it?
- Give an example of a time you felt a sense of fulfilment as part of your job