These sample Medical Secretary interview questions will help you evaluate candidates’ skills. Use them to hire the most qualified people for your open roles.
Medical Secretary Interview Questions
Medical Secretaries schedule appointments, keep organized medical records and provide information to patients by phone or in-person. They ensure that a medical office’s daily operations run smoothly.
For this role, look for candidates who are able to multitask in an office environment. Screen for previous experience with office equipment, knowledge of basic bookkeeping procedures (e.g. processing invoices) and ability to manage physical and digital records. Qualified candidates will also showcase strong communication skills and a flair for helping people in need.
During your interviews, keep an eye out for candidates with experience in medical settings. They’ll better understand medical terminology and regular procedures, like typing up a prescription and documenting a patient’s medical history. Opt for candidates who handle sensitive information discreetly and are empathetic to other people’s difficulties.
Operational and Situational questions
- A patient wants your office to perform a medical test but hasn’t scheduled an appointment. If there are no appointments on the calendar for the next hour, would you accept that patient? Why or why not?
- How would you respond if you didn’t know how to answer a patient’s question?
- A doctor who is in a hurry asks you to print a patient’s medical record, but the printer isn’t currently working. How would you handle this situation?
- What information would you ask for if a pharmacist calls to request a medication refill for a patient?
- What are your duties during a typical day?
- What’s the first thing you do when you arrive at the office?
- Do you use any productivity applications or tools (e.g. to manage your calendar?) If so, what are they?
- What’s your experience with Electronic Health Records (EHR)?
- Are you familiar with how to record patient’s medical history? What do you ask patients before they see the doctor?
- How do you disseminate the daily schedule to medical staff?
- What steps do you take to protect confidential information?
- What is considered protected information under HIPPA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)?
- Why did you choose this field?
- How do you manage to stay calm under difficult patient situations (e.g. patients with serious chronic health conditions?)
- Have you ever implemented a new method to organize your files? What was it? If not, what do you do to ensure your filing system is effective?
- How do you handle patients who have no health insurance and aren’t able to pay for necessary medical services?
- Tell me about a time you had to serve multiple patients at once. How did you prioritize their needs?
- How do you treat patients of different ages?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial