This Health Unit Coordinator job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
Health Unit Coordinator Responsibilities
- Greeting patients and handing out forms
- Keeping appointment calendar and other schedules
- Transcribing doctor’s orders
We are looking for a competent Health Unit Coordinator (HUC) to undertake all secretarial tasks necessary for our medical operations. You’ll be the facilitator of meaningful communication between medical staff and the go-to person for the unit’s administrative needs.
If you are a well-organized and reliable person with clerical experience in a medical setting, you have what it takes to apply for this position. Furthermore, we expect you to be positive and polite with a great deal of efficiency and a sense of commitment to healthcare.
The facility’s smooth operation is a HUC’s primary goal. You will ensure that information is stored and disseminated correctly between medical staff and to patients.
- Greet patients and hand out forms
- Keep appointment calendar and other schedules
- Transcribe doctor’s orders
- Maintain medical charts and graph vital signs
- Issue or locate documents (birth/death certificates, discharge notes etc.)
- Update databases with patient information
- Collaborate with medical and non-medical staff
- Order supplies when needed
- Undertake other duties as assigned
- Proven experience as health unit coordinator or similar role
- Experience using medical records and databases
- Good knowledge of relevant medical terminology
- Experience in medical transcription is a plus
- Outstanding communication and customer service ability
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Team player
- High school diploma
- Successful completion of a HUC training program is preferred
- Professional certification is a plus