This Art Director job description template covers the key qualifications, duties and responsibilities of this role and it’s easy to customize for your company when hiring for your art department.
Art Director responsibilities include:
- Generating clear ideas and concepts in tandem with the copywriter
- Producing sketches, storyboards, art layouts based on creative visions and ideas
- Understanding marketing initiatives, strategic positioning and target audience
We are looking for a creative Art Director who enjoys working in a fast paced environment and loves the challenge of discovering what makes consumers “click”. You will cooperate with a design-savvy team to devise an overall concept.
The goal is to translate marketing and branding strategies into innovative and impressive campaigns that stimulate targeted audiences.
- Generate clear ideas and concepts in tandem with the copywriter
- Produce sketches, storyboards, roughs to visualize ideas
- Understand marketing initiatives, strategic positioning and target audience
- Cooperate with the rest of the creative team across different types of media
- Take work from concept to final execution within deadlines
- Manage and delegate responsibilities to other designers and provide directions
- Present completed ideas to clients/team members
- Stay on top of all trends and maintain best practices
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as Art Director
- Hands on experience with logo design, typography, color, web layout design, print production, image selection and package design
- Proficient use of InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator or other visual design and wire-framing tools
- Demonstrable graphic design skills with a strong portfolio
- Incorporate feedback and take/give direction well
- Team player with strong communication and presentation skills
- Relevant education or training
Frequently asked questions
- What does an Art Director do?
- An Art Director is in charge of making sure the images used in projects such as magazines, newspapers, and product packaging are stylish and appropriate. They create an overall design while directing others who develop the artwork or layouts.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of an Art Director?
- An Art Director is responsible for creating compelling visuals that speak directly to the reader, viewer, or user. They also ensure the department follows production, productivity, and quality standards as well as customer service guidelines.
- What makes a good Art Director?
- A good Art Director must have a clear vision and an open mind to accept influence from their staff. They must also have the ability to best leverage the talent and resources their team provides to create amazing designs.
- Who does an Art Director work with?
- Typically, an Art Director works with other artists like Graphic Designers to ensure success on a project.