This System Administrator job description template is optimized for posting to online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company.
System Administrator responsibilities include:
- Installing and configuring software, hardware and networks
- Monitoring system performance and troubleshooting issues
- Ensuring security and efficiency of IT infrastructure
We are looking for a System Administrator to maintain, upgrade and manage our software, hardware and networks.
Resourcefulness is a necessary skill in this role. You should be able to diagnose and resolve problems quickly. You should also have the patience to communicate with a variety of interdisciplinary teams and users.
Your goal will be to ensure that our technology infrastructure runs smoothly and efficiently.
- Install and configure software and hardware
- Manage network servers and technology tools
- Set up accounts and workstations
- Monitor performance and maintain systems according to requirements
- Troubleshoot issues and outages
- Ensure security through access controls, backups and firewalls
- Upgrade systems with new releases and models
- Develop expertise to train staff on new technologies
- Build an internal wiki with technical documentation, manuals and IT policies
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a System Administrator, Network Administrator or similar role
- Experience with databases, networks (LAN, WAN) and patch management
- Knowledge of system security (e.g. intrusion detection systems) and data backup/recovery
- Ability to create scripts in Python, Perl or other language
- Familiarity with various operating systems and platforms
- Resourcefulness and problem-solving aptitude
- Excellent communication skills
- BSc/Ba in Information Technology, Computer Science or a related discipline; professional certification (e.g. Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)) is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a System Administrator do?
System Administrators organize, install and support an organization's computer systems. These include local area networks (LAN), wide area networks (WAN) and other data communication systems such as intranets or internet cafes within their company.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Systems Administrators?
System Administrators are responsible for managing, troubleshooting and proactively updating hardware and software assets to prevent downtime or zero-day exploits from occurring.
What makes a good Systems Administrators?
A good System Administrator must have excellent communication skills since they work directly with employees across an organization to understand their needs and ensure all employees can work as efficiently as possible. They also need a strong technical understanding of information systems to address issues that arise across the organization.
Who does a System Administrator work with?
Though firms in the computer industry employ many System Administrators, they also work across all industries. Some may work for financial companies, while others work in hospitals or local government offices. System Administrators work alongside IT Analysts to further understand the technology they manage.