Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
System Administrator Interview Questions
System Administrators are responsible for the proper operation of the company’s IT systems, including hardware, software and network.
SysAdmins are usually the first point of contact, so candidates need to combine excellent troubleshooting skills with an ability to explain technical details to a non-technical audience. During your interviews, test candidates for their knowledge of IT system best practices.
For this role, future SysAdmins will deal with various issues (e.g. backing up and recovering data, upgrading servers and installing applications), so it’s best to choose candidates with broad technical backgrounds. Keep an eye out for system administrator candidates who are passionate about the IT field and enjoy continuous learning. Many of these questions work well for a windows system admin role.
Operational and Situational questions
- An employee is working from home and has trouble joining a video call. How would you help them?
- Some employees are complaining about their Internet speed. What steps would you take to identify the problem?
- We would like to create simple manuals to help employees to use our equipment properly. What instructions would you give to help your colleagues use a printer?
- How would you deal with a virus?
- What are your responsibilities during network infrastructure implementations?
- Describe the data backup and recovery process on a Mac. How is the process different with a PC?
- How do you install and configure a printer in Windows 10?
- How do you determine a server capacity? Why and how often do you need to upgrade a server?
- What are Forests, Trees, and Domains?
- Some of your daily tasks can be repetitive. How do you stay motivated?
- Describe a time when you used your knowledge of operating systems to optimize a network.
- When you have to juggle different tasks at the same time, how do you prioritize work?
- Recall a time when you didn’t know how to solve a problem. What did you do?
- In general, when there’s a challenging project, do you like to work with a team or prefer to come up with a solution on your own?
- How do you stay up-to-date with IT developments?