Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
System Analyst Interview Questions
System Analysts are responsible for improving company IT systems while ensuring high levels of performance and security. They gather user requirements, perform tests and design software solutions that meet business needs.
For this role, look for candidates who understand the full software development life cycle and are able to integrate new and legacy systems. During your interview process, ask candidates questions about scripts and automation software that you use. If necessary, give candidates chances to showcase their problem-solving skills with written assignments.
Software documentation is an important job duty of the System Analyst. Keep an eye out for candidates who can explain technical terms in simple language. These individuals also work closely with other teams that include System Engineers and Product Managers. Focus on candidates who understand design, budget and deadline requirements.
Operational and Situational questions
- How would you manage frequent changes in user requirements?
- How do you persuade a doubtful manager to get on board with your suggestions?
- How would you reconcile different opinions on the deployment date of a new program?
- What SAP software applications have you used?
- What is a DHCP server?
- Walk me through the process of analyzing an existing system.
- How do you explain user scenarios in a technical document?
- What’s the difference between technical and functional requirements? How do you gather each?
- How do you perform a software audit on a PC or Mac?
- Do you have experience designing a new system with limited resources? If so, how did you do it?
- Describe a time when you worked with a team to tackle a tough project. What was your role?
- Describe a time when you had to deliver a presentation. How did you explain technical details to a non-technical audience?
- Have you ever implemented a cost-reducing system? What was it and how did you come up with the suggestion?