Use these sample Database Administrator (DBA) interview questions during your hiring process to assess candidates’ database administration skills and select the best fit for your company. Similar job titles include Database Manager and System Administrator.
Database Administrator (DBA) Interview Questions
Database Administrators (DBA) ensure the company’s databases are secure and run smoothly, and that information flows seamlessly between all employees, including front-end and back-end users.
During your hiring process, look for candidates with experience in database administration who are familiar with data privacy and recovery procedures. An academic background in Computer Science and knowledge of statistical analysis packages are pluses.
These interview questions will help you identify potential hires who combine a passion for IT with solid troubleshooting skills. Keep an eye out for candidates who understand your company’s needs. They will be able to contribute to the design and implementation of new database systems.
Operational and Situational questions
- How would you transfer data from MySQL to Microsoft SQL Server?
- Would you run a test on a live database? Why or why not?
- What measurements would you take to protect our databases from external threats?
- We are building a new database for our employee records. How do you define system storage requirements?
- How regularly would you perform tests to ensure data privacy?
- Are you familiar with SQL? Name the most useful SQL queries and their roles.
- What is the difference between navigational and relational databases?
- Can you provide an example of where you can or should use a foreign key?
- What is the difference between T-SQL and PL/SQL?
- When do you use “CHAR” and when do you use “VARCHAR”?
- How can you identify if a database server is running properly?
- What’s the most challenging project you worked on? Describe your role in the project.
- Have you ever implemented a solution that improved data storage? If so, what was your role, and what was the solution?
- How do you learn about new applications?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial