Use these sample Database Manager interview questions as part of your hiring process to evaluate candidates’ skills. Feel free to modify them to meet your specific job requirements.
Database Manager Interview Questions
Database Managers oversee how a company organizes, stores and accesses its information. They gather user requirements, design and test databases.
These questions will help you identify potential hires with solid analytical skills. Keep an eye out for candidates who are good communicators and team players, as this position requires understanding users’ requirements and building databases that address their needs. If the Database Manager role in your company involves managing a team, evaluate candidates’ leadership skills, as well.
Operational and Situational questions
- How would a big data model help us understand consumer behavior?
- Would you run a test on a live database? Why/why not?
- How would you protect our databases from external threats?
- How would you train a new team member on database maintenance procedures?
- How do you transfer data from Microsoft SQL Server to MySQL?
- How often do you backup a database? Describe the process you follow step-by-step.
- What is the difference between T-SQL and PL/SQL?
- How can you identify if a database server is running properly?
- What’s the most effective way to store and access files in a database?
- What’s the most challenging project you’ve worked on? What were the obstacles and what was your role?
- Have you ever implemented a solution that improved data storage? If so, what was your role, and what was the solution?
- Describe a time you struggled to understand or implement users’ requirements. What did you do?
- How do you stay up-to-date with database technologies?