This sample of IT Manager interview questions can help you identify skilled candidates to manage your IT team.
IT Manager Interview Questions
IT Managers oversee, maintain and improve IT system operations. They’re also responsible for implementing new computer systems within budget and time limitations to meet company needs.
This is a senior level position, so you’re looking for candidates with a solid technical background. Use these questions to identify candidates with relevant experience and in-depth knowledge of your industry best practices.
For this position, you need candidates who can manage a team of engineers. Communication and project management skills are keys to success, in addition to technical expertise. During your interview process, include questions about your candidates’ past experience working in a team and their ability to handle IT projects end-to-end.
Operational and Situational questions
- Which do you consider the most crucial duties for an IT Manager?
- How do you gather system and user requirements?
- What are your priorities when making budget decisions?
- How do you negotiate for new hardware or software?
- Have you implemented significant improvements to an IT infrastructure?
- How do you ensure confidential data is stored in a secure place?
- What are your training methods to ensure effective use of corporate computer systems?
- If you have a new team member, what guidance would you give them?
- We want to install a new software system. What’s your research method and what steps would you follow before deployment?
- How do you prepare a cost analysis report for company computer systems?
- Which are the most effective methods to improve network security?
- What’s a disaster recovery plan?
- Describe the troubleshooting process you’d follow for a crashing program.
- Can you mention the pros and cons of cloud applications?
- Are you familiar with IT tracking software? How are they used to monitor remote systems?
- What Information Analysis systems have you worked with most?
- Describe a situation where you had to explain technical details to a non-technical audience. How did you adjust your presentation?
- Have you faced conflicts between your team members? What did you do?
- What’s the most challenging project you’ve managed so far? What was your role and how did you manage to deliver on time?
- Describe a time when a member of your team was underperforming. How did you motivate them?
- How do you keep up-to-date with technology trends?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial