Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
IT Consultant Interview Questions
IT Consultants help businesses make the most out of technology. They commonly work in consultancy firms but some companies may employ them in-house. Degrees in computer science or IT are common. Credentials and a master’s/MBA are good screening criteria, if you’re hiring for a senior role.
IT consultants may have a specialization like security or database management. It’s useful to evaluate their technical knowledge through a test, work sample or case study. Be on the lookout for candidates whose portfolio is relevant to your projects and company size. You’ll find the right one among those who are also excellent communicators, team players and problem-solvers.
During the interview, talk about their past experience. How did they add value to their client? Did they spend more time on security issues, infrastructure or people education? Do they show a clear understanding of business? Their answers will give you insight on how they understand requirements and approach IT programs.
Operational and Situational questions
- How do you go about assessing the needs of a business?
- When you first undertake a project, where do you start?
- How do you measure a project’s success?
- How do you deal with people who aren’t tech savvy?
- If a client asks you to deal with a virus infection, how do you go about it?
- Imagine you make a recommendation you think will greatly benefit your client but they don’t like it. How do you proceed?
- A client wants to implement a new system that was recommended by an external party. How do you ensure it’s the right choice?
- What makes you a good IT consultant?
- Have you worked on application developing projects?
- What’s your experience with whitebox testing?
- Do you have experience with companies of this size?
- How familiar are you with Oracle?
- In this company, we’re using [insert software]. Do you have experience with it?
- How do you maintain confidentiality?
- How do you stay up-to-date with IT developments?
- Do you know Java/C++/Python/etc.?
- Tell me about your biggest success as an IT consultant. What kind of project did you work on?
- Recall a time you found it difficult to get staff to understand a system. What was the problem and what did you do?
- Give me an example of a problem you solved that helped your client in a big way
- When you undertake multiple projects with tight deadlines, how do you stay on track?
- Describe a time you helped implement a network infrastructure. Did you encounter any challenges and how did you solve them?