Use these sample IT Coordinator interview questions to test candidates’ technical skills and make the best hiring decisions for your open roles.
IT Coordinator Interview Questions
IT Coordinators ensure that a company’s computer systems and networks operate efficiently. They also resolve end users’ technical issues.
Candidates for this role usually hold a degree in Computer Science or Information Technology. As IT is an ever-changing field, keep an eye out for candidates who stay current with industry developments and hold relevant certifications (e.g. in security or virtualization.)
During your interviews, pose candidates hypothetical scenarios likely to occur on the job. Your future hires should have excellent troubleshooting skills. Keep in mind that IT Coordinators are the first point of contact for technical issues and queries, so opt for people with strong communication skills, emotional intelligence and the ability to explain technical details to non-technical audience.
Operational and Situational questions
- How would you help a remote employee install a printer?
- What would you include in a policy for proper use of hardware, like projectors, cameras and microphones?
- We’d like to train our employees on how to deal with common technical issues on their own. Choose one topic (e.g. how to troubleshoot WiFi connectivity issues) and tell us how would you explain it to employees. How would you make sure everybody understands the technical terms in the presentation?
- How would you prioritize tasks if you received multiple queries at the same time?
- How do you test and set up servers after a power outage?
- How regularly do you perform computer backups? What’s the best way to do it and what tools do you use?
- How do you determine a server’s capacity? Why and how often do you need to upgrade a server?
- How do you recover data from a Mac? How does the process differ with a PC?
- Walk me through what you’d do if a computer couldn’t connect to a specific website.
- Recall a time when you didn’t know how to solve an issue. What did you do?
- When users face technical problems, do you prefer to give them instructions or step in and deal with the issue yourself? Why? In which cases is either approach is more suitable?
- Describe a time when you used your knowledge of operating systems to optimize a network’s performance.
- How do you stay up-to-date with IT developments?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial