IT Auditor Interview Questions
IT Auditors test internal controls in a company’s networking hardware and software and identify weaknesses and potential threats. Their role is to ensure high-quality IT systems that are functional, secure and efficient.
When screening candidates, look for professionals with solid knowledge of IT infrastructure, preferably acquired through a degree in Computer Science and relevant work experience. Although not required, Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) certification is a nice-to-have for the IT Auditor role. If necessary, test how familiar candidates are with systems, platforms and frameworks you use.
Successful candidates should not only identify system malfunctions, but also suggest improvements in capability, user interface and security. Challenge candidates with hypothetical scenarios to reveal their problem-solving skills. For this role, your future hire will create or review security policies, so opt for candidates who can explain technical issues in simple terms.
Operational and Situational questions
- What measurements would you take to protect an internal network from external threats?
- What would you do if the system crashed after a change you implemented?
- If you spotted a minor bug in an application, would you try to fix it yourself or mention it to the engineering team?
- What policies would you create to ensure our employees properly use technological resources?
- You uncover a number of security risks in a high-profile client’s network, but know that the CTO will not take the news well and may terminate your firm’s contract. How do you report the results of your audit?
- What’s the purpose of network encryption?
- What’s the most common software problem you face? How do you resolve it?
- Are you familiar with server virtualization? Tell us about any experience you have using tools like VMware or VirtualBox.
- What are the biggest flaws of cloud applications?
- What kinds of internal systems do you audit more frequently? Why?
- What resources do you use to keep up-to-date with engineering trends (e.g. forums, websites and books?)
- What’s your biggest challenge explaining technical details to a non-technical audience? Do you prefer to write a manual or deliver a presentation? Why?
- Have you ever worked in a stressful environment where you had to audit various IT systems on tight deadlines? If so, how did you work under deadlines while also meeting quality standards?
- How have you helped improve a system’s efficiency in your current or previous position?