Use this School Administrator job description template to attract candidates to your school or organization. Feel free to modify this sample based on your needs.
What is a school administrator?
School administrators oversee administrative tasks in schools, colleges or other educational institutions. They ensure that the organization runs smoothly and they also manage facilities and staff.
What does a school administrator do?
The duties of school administrators may vary depending on the size and type of school they work in. For example, school administrators in small day care centers (where they may be the only member of the administrative team) have different scope of responsibility than at a large college (where they may specialize in a specific area). Generally though, school administrators manage budgets, handle logistics and act as a point of reference for everyone in the school.
School administrator responsibilities include:
- Coordinating all administrative processes.
- Managing budgets, policies and events.
- Resolving conflicts or other issues as they occur.
What are the qualities of a school administrator?
School administrators are capable planners, possess good judgment, and are skilled in handling relations with various people (staff, parents, students, regulatory bodies and the public). A great school administrator also has an attention to detail and conflict management skills.
If you like this school administrator job description, see our other education job descriptions, too. We also have the most updated list of teachers job boards.
We are looking for a school administrator to manage all administrative tasks in our school.
As a school administrator, you’ll need to wear many different hats; the planner, the problem-solver, the educator and the counselor being a few of them. You should have the skills to communicate with various people, handle budgets and logistics, and keep all educational programs running.
If you’re up to the task, and you’re also committed to high-quality education, we’d like to meet you.
- Manage budgets, logistics and events or meetings
- Handle scheduling, record-keeping and reporting
- Ensure the school complies with relevant laws and regulations
- Develop and run educational programs
- Hire, train and advise staff
- Counsel students when needed
- Resolve conflicts and other issues
- Communicate with parents, regulatory bodies and the public
- Have a hand in the creation of the school curriculum
- Implement actions that improve the school and the quality of education (e.g. building renovations, new guidelines for students, new subjects)
- Help shape and uphold the vision of the school
- Proven experience as a school administrator
- Experience as an educator is a plus
- Knowledge of administrative processes of schools
- Ability to use computers (e.g. MS Office) and education management systems
- Excellent communication skills
- Outstanding organizational ability
- Attention to detail
- Problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Good judgment and decision-making aptitude
- Degree in Education or similar field; post-graduate degree is a plus
Similar jobs include: