What is a manufacturing engineer?
Manufacturing engineers usually work inside factories or other production sites. They develop efficient systems, processes and machines that result in high-quality products. They may also take into account how manufacturing processes impact the environment.
What does a manufacturing engineer do?
The main manufacturing engineer responsibilities revolve around studying requirements for each production process and product at hand, and determining the most efficient operations based on these requirements. Also, these professionals may design machines and equipment.
Manufacturing Engineer duties include:
- Evaluating manufacturing processes
- Developing effective automated and non-automated systems
- Testing new and existing production procedures
If you like this manufacturing engineer job description, check out our other engineering job descriptions and production job descriptions.
We are looking for a Manufacturing Engineer to help us implement manufacturing processes that result in high-quality products.
You need to have good knowledge of tool design and fabrication methods. Other necessary manufacturing engineer skills include project management ability, commitment to quality, and familiarity with safety and environmental standards. If you’re also inventive and meticulous, we’d like to meet you.
Ultimately, you’ll be the one to ensure our production lines work efficiently and effectively to satisfy our customers.
- Evaluate manufacturing processes based on quality criteria, such as efficiency and speed
- Study production and machine requirements
- Develop and test effective automated and manual systems
- Design and install equipment
- Organize and manage manufacturing workflows and resources
- Integrate disparate systems (e.g. equipment handling, transport)
- Optimize facility layouts, production lines, machine operations and network performance
- Resolve issues and delays in production
- Find ways to reduce costs and maximize quality
- Train staff in new and existing processes
- Collaborate with other engineers, contractors and suppliers
- Ensure that manufacturing procedures follow safety and environmental regulations
- Upgrade systems and processes with new technology
- Previous experience as a manufacturing engineer or similar role
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, fabrication methods and tool design
- Familiarity with manufacturing equipment and quality assurance techniques
- Commitment to health and safety standards and environmental regulations
- Well-versed in relevant software (e.g. CAD, MS Office)
- Project management skills
- Problem-solving ability
- Teamwork skills
- Ability to occasionally work late shifts
- Degree in Engineering; post-graduate degree is a plus