This Line Cook job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages. It is easy to customize for your company. Modify this line cook job description sample with the requirements of your restaurant.
Line Cook responsibilities include:
- Setting up and stocking stations with all necessary supplies
- Preparing food for service (e.g. chopping vegetables, butchering meat, or preparing sauces)
- Cooking menu items in cooperation with the rest of the kitchen staff
We are looking for a professional Line Cook to prepare food to the exact chef’s specifications and to set up stations for menu. Line Cook duties will consist of assisting the executive and sous chef with their daily tasks. The successful candidate will play a key role in contributing to our customer satisfaction and acquisition goals.
- Set up and stocking stations with all necessary supplies
- Prepare food for service (e.g. chopping vegetables, butchering meat, or preparing sauces)
- Cook menu items in cooperation with the rest of the kitchen staff
- Answer, report and follow executive or sous chef’s instructions
- Clean up station and take care of leftover food
- Stock inventory appropriately
- Ensure that food comes out simultaneously, in high quality and in a timely fashion
- Comply with nutrition and sanitation regulations and safety standards
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and customers
Requirements and skills
- Proven cooking experience, including experience as a Line Chef, Restaurant Cook or Prep Cook
- Excellent understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures
- Accuracy and speed in executing assigned tasks
- Familiar with industry’s best practices
- Culinary school diploma
Frequently asked questions
What does a Line Cook do?
A Line Cook prepares food and makes sure Servers deliver each dish to customers in a timely manner. A Line Cook is responsible for that station’s workflow and getting meals out on time. They oversee the cooking process from start to finish and determine how much time each step requires.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Line Cook?
Line Cooks must know all the steps for their station to time their food preparation steps correctly. They get food and components ready for cooking by frying, grilling, baking, or sautéing. A Line Cook must set up and stock their cooking area with all the essential items.
What makes a good Line Cook?
A successful Line Cook pays close attention to detail and utilizes active listening skills to follow the process their Head Chef provides. They always keep their station clean, tidy, and well-stocked to ensure food safety and high-quality dishes.
Who does a Line Cook work with?
A Line Cook works with the Head Chef, Sous Chef, or Executive Chef. The Chef will give the Line Cook their duties and assignments at the start of the shift. Line Cooks also work with other Line Cooks to sync preparation times and ensure food makes it out of the kitchen on time.