Janitor job description
A Janitor is a professional who is a vital part of any business. They are responsible for maintaining a clean and healthy facility by completing various tasks. This can include mopping & vacuuming floors, disinfecting surfaces and restrooms and emptying trash and recycle cans.
This Janitor job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Janitor responsibilities include:
- Cleaning and supplying designated building areas
- Performing and documenting routine inspection and maintenance activities
- Carrying out heavy cleansing tasks and special projects
We are looking for a Janitor, or Custodian, to take care of our building and carry out cleaning, maintenance and security duties.
The goal is to keep our building in a clean and orderly condition.
- Clean and supply designated building areas (dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, cleaning ceiling vents, restroom cleaning etc)
- Perform and document routine inspection and maintenance activities
- Carry out heavy cleansing tasks and special projects
- Notify management of occurring deficiencies or needs for repairs
- Make adjustments and minor repairs
- Stock and maintain supply rooms
- Cooperate with the rest of the staff
- Follow all health and safety regulations
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as a Janitor
- Ability to handle heavy equipment and machinery
- Knowledge of cleaning chemicals and supplies
- Familiarity with Material Safety Data Sheets
- Integrity and ability to work independently
- High school degree
Frequently asked questions
What does a Janitor do?
A Janitor maintains a clean and healthy working environment for the business or facility. They ensure the interior, exterior, or both areas of a building are sanitary and free of trash and debris.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Janitor?
A Janitor’s duties and responsibilities can include general cleaning of a building and keeping it maintained and in good condition. This can include vacuuming, mopping, sanitizing restrooms, taking out trash and recycling and washing and cleaning windows and mirrors.
What makes a good Janitor?
A good Janitor will have great attention to detail which assists with keeping the facility clean. They are also motivated, responsible, independent and have excellent time management skills.
Who does a Janitor work with?
A Janitor typically reports to a Shift Supervisor, Janitorial Manager or Facilities Manager. In smaller offices, they can report to an Office Manager. A Janitor can work with other Janitorial staff depending on the shift worked daily. An overnight Janitor can work alone or with other overnight employees.
Hiring Janitor job description
Post this Janitor job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.