This Janitor job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and is easy to customize for your company.
Janitor responsibilities include:
- Cleaning and supplying designated building areas
- Performing and documenting routine inspection and maintenance activities
- Carrying out heavy cleansing tasks and special projects
We are looking for a Janitor, or Custodian, to take care of our building and carry out cleaning, maintenance and security duties.
The goal is to keep our building in a clean and orderly condition.
- Clean and supply designated building areas (dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, mopping, cleaning ceiling vents, restroom cleaning etc)
- Perform and document routine inspection and maintenance activities
- Carry out heavy cleansing tasks and special projects
- Notify management of occurring deficiencies or needs for repairs
- Make adjustments and minor repairs
- Stock and maintain supply rooms
- Cooperate with the rest of the staff
- Follow all health and safety regulations
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience as a Janitor
- Ability to handle heavy equipment and machinery
- Knowledge of cleaning chemicals and supplies
- Familiarity with Material Safety Data Sheets
- Integrity and ability to work independently
- High school degree
Frequently asked questions
What does a Janitor do?
A Janitor maintains a clean and healthy working environment for the business or facility. They ensure the interior, exterior, or both areas of a building are sanitary and free of trash and debris.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Janitor?
A Janitor’s duties and responsibilities can include general cleaning of a building and keeping it maintained and in good condition. This can include vacuuming, mopping, sanitizing restrooms, taking out trash and recycling and washing and cleaning windows and mirrors.
What makes a good Janitor?
A good Janitor will have great attention to detail which assists with keeping the facility clean. They are also motivated, responsible, independent and have excellent time management skills.
Who does a Janitor work with?
A Janitor typically reports to a Shift Supervisor, Janitorial Manager or Facilities Manager. In smaller offices, they can report to an Office Manager. A Janitor can work with other Janitorial staff depending on the shift worked daily. An overnight Janitor can work alone or with other overnight employees.