Janitor interview questions and answers
This Janitor interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Are you a candidate?Crush your interview with our guide
Janitor and Custodian Interview Questions
In most cases, your janitor, custodian or cleaner is responsible for maintaining the cleanliness and orderliness of a facility. However, some work environments call for more advanced cleaning skills. If your candidates need to know how to operate special machinery, use chemical cleaners, or make minor repairs on occasion, add some questions that pertain to these tasks.
The best candidates for this position are self-motivated, reliable, thorough, and won’t be distracted if they have to do their work around the general public. Use the following open-ended and situational questions to evaluate proven experience in this field.
Operational and Situational questions
- Describe your relevant experience as a janitor or custodian. What were some of your responsibilities?
- What did you like most about your last job?
- How would you handle being around the general public while you clean?
- How often do you clean and maintain your equipment?
- What types of cleaning machinery do you have experience with?
- What steps would you take if you noticed a problem that required major repairs?
- Cleaning is repetitive work. How do you stay motivated?
- Describe a time you had to solve a problem on your own because your supervisor was not available.
- Describe a time someone criticized your work. How did you handle it?
- Describe a frustrating experience with this kind of job.
- You’ve noticed one of your co-workers stealing supplies. What would you do?
- What are you looking for in your next supervisor?