This Custodian job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages. It’s easy to customize for your company. Feel free to modify this custodian description during your recruitment, hiring and interview process. It can also be modified as a janitor or school custodian job description.
- Ensuring spaces are prepared for the next day by taking out trash, tidying furniture and dusting surfaces
- Sweeping and mopping floors, vacuuming carpets
- Washing and sanitizing toilets, sinks and showers and restocking disposables
We are looking for a responsible custodian to maintain and protect our facilities. The external and internal appearance of a building reflects on the occupants. It is important for a custodian, or janitor, to be careful and thorough in working, cleaning and tidying the premises, as well as preventing vandalism.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in a custodian role focused on building upkeep. They will have great physical endurance to cover a large space. A keen eye for detail and diligence are also imperative in custodial maintenance jobs.
- Ensure spaces are prepared for the next day by taking out trash, tidying furniture and dusting surfaces
- Sweep and mop floors and vacuum carpets
- Wash and sanitize toilets, sinks and showers and restock disposables (e.g. soap)
- Wipe mirrors and windows
- Maintain outer premises by watering plants, mowing lawn, cleaning entrances
- Utilize insecticides to prevent infestation by dangerous pests
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs (replacing broken switches, fixing door handles, minor leaks etc.)
- Report major damages and oversee repairs
- Secure facilities after operating hours by locking doors, closing windows and setting up the alarm
- Undertake occasional custodial and janitorial tasks (shoveling snow from the sidewalk, lifting heavy items, moving chairs etc.)
- Proven experience as custodian, janitor or in a similar role
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances
- Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
- Familiarity with basic landscaping and handyman practices
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness
- Very good physical condition and strength
- High school diploma is preferred but not required