Custodian job description
A Custodian is a professional who performs tasks that keep the building in good shape and ensure everything runs smoothly, from dusting to ensuring paper supplies are stocked.
This Custodian job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages. It's easy to customize for your company. Feel free to modify this custodian description during your recruitment, hiring and interview process. It can also be modified as a janitor or school custodian job description.
Custodian responsibilities include:
- Ensuring spaces are prepared for the next day by taking out trash, tidying furniture and dusting surfaces
- Sweeping and mopping floors, vacuuming carpets
- Washing and sanitizing toilets, sinks and showers and restocking disposables
We are looking for a responsible custodian to maintain and protect our facilities. The external and internal appearance of a building reflects on the occupants. It is important for a custodian, or janitor, to be careful and thorough in working, cleaning and tidying the premises, as well as preventing vandalism.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in a custodian role focused on building upkeep. They will have great physical endurance to cover a large space. A keen eye for detail and diligence are also imperative in custodial maintenance jobs.
- Ensure spaces are prepared for the next day by taking out trash, tidying furniture and dusting surfaces
- Sweep and mop floors and vacuum carpets
- Wash and sanitize toilets, sinks and showers and restock disposables (e.g. soap)
- Wipe mirrors and windows
- Maintain outer premises by watering plants, mowing lawn, cleaning entrances
- Utilize insecticides to prevent infestation by dangerous pests
- Perform maintenance and minor repairs (replacing broken switches, fixing door handles, minor leaks etc.)
- Report major damages and oversee repairs
- Secure facilities after operating hours by locking doors, closing windows and setting up the alarm
- Undertake occasional custodial and janitorial tasks (shoveling snow from the sidewalk, lifting heavy items, moving chairs etc.)
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as custodian, janitor or in a similar role
- Knowledge of use and maintenance of industrial cleaning equipment and appliances
- Knowledge of safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
- Familiarity with basic landscaping and handyman practices
- Attention to detail and conscientiousness
- Very good physical condition and strength
- High school diploma is preferred but not required
Frequently asked questions
What does a Custodian do?
Custodians perform a range of custodial work, including dusting and mopping up spills. They vacuum carpets, clean windows and clean restrooms for customers and employees to ensure proper sanitation.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Custodian?
Custodians keep the building and grounds clean and neat, in a safe manner that meets company standards. They use cleaning chemicals to maintain equipment and other supplies while dusting, vacuuming, mopping and cleaning restrooms.
What makes a good Custodian?
The best Custodians in the industry are detail-oriented, understand how long any given task should take and budget their teams accordingly. They must stand on their feet for long periods and greet customers from time to time.
Who does a Custodian work with?
Typically, Custodians work by themselves, but they may work with other maintenance workers when needed. Custodians work under the supervision of a Maintenance Manager.
Hiring Custodian job description
Post this Custodian job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.