This Technical Writer job description template is optimized for posting in online job boards or careers pages and it is easy to customize for your company when hiring a technical author. Modify job responsibilities if you are hiring a senior technical writer.
Technical Writer responsibilities include:
- Producing high-quality documentation that is appropriate for its intended audience
- Working with internal teams on product and documentation requirements
- Writing easy-to-understand user interface text, online help and developer guides
We are looking for a Technical Writer to produce high-quality documentation that contributes to the overall success of our products. You will join a team of talented tech writers who work collaboratively with developers, quality engineers, product managers, and usability experts to make our products easier to use.
- Work with internal teams to obtain an in-depth understanding of the product and the documentation requirements
- Produce high-quality documentation that meets applicable standards and is appropriate for its intended audience
- Write easy-to-understand user interface text, online help and developer guides
- Create tutorials to help end-users use a variety of applications
- Analyze existing and potential content, focusing on reuse and single-sourcing opportunities
- Create and maintain the information architecture
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience in technical writing of software documentation
- Ability to deliver high quality documentation paying attention to detail
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable in text and pictures
- Excellent written skills in English
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Basic familiarity with the SDLC and software development
- University degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent preferred
Frequently asked questions
What does a Technical Writer do?
A Technical Writer is responsible for producing high-quality documentation appropriate to its intended audience. This includes working with internal teams on product and document requirements. Writing easy-to-use user interface text or online help content is in addition to job duties.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Technical Writer?
A Technical Writer works with internal teams to understand the product's requirements, including how it should be implemented through the user interface text/online help or developer guides and creating tutorials designed so beginners can easily navigate their way around this application. Technical writers are known for producing high-quality, appropriate content that meets applicable standards and helps end-users use a variety of applications.
What makes a good Technical Writer?
A successful technical writer can deliver high-quality content while paying attention to detail and the knowledge that can quickly grasp complex topics. Therefore, technical writers need excellent written skills.
Who does a Technical Writer work with?
A Technical writer can take a product's documentation from concept to completion, ensuring that each document delivers the correct information in an easy-to-understand way. Generally, they collaborate with Web Developers, internal teams and other stakeholders on projects across various technology domains.