Copywriter Interview Questions
Copywriters are responsible for marketing a company and its products through compelling copy for websites, blogs and ads. Their role is both to inform and engage the company’s target audience through clear writing.
Your ideal candidates should have experience creating online content for various channels. They should also be familiar with Content Management Systems and Search Engine Optimization (SEO.) During your hiring process, look for candidates who understand end-to-end marketing campaigns and can proactively identify promotional opportunities for your company/products. Also, candidates with backgrounds in Journalism are more likely to use their research and critical-thinking skills on the job.
Combine your interviews with a portfolio and/or assignment assessment. A written piece will help you understand how candidates express an idea through writing. You’ll also have the chance to evaluate skills, like proofreading and attention to detail, in a real sample of work.
Operational and Situational questions
- If you were asked to create 50 pieces of content per week, what would you say?
- What new content would you recommend for our website? Why?
- We are launching a product at the end of this month and we need you to create new copy for our clients. We also need you to update all relevant pages on our website. How would you prioritize your work to make sure everything is ready before the launch?
- How would you manage frequent changes in a product that require you to constantly update relevant content?
- You’ve put a lot of effort into a piece of content but end up receiving negative feedback from your manager. How would you respond?
- What would you change in the language/tone you use to attract a younger audience?
- How do you think people discover our content?
- What techniques do you use to improve SEO?
- How do you measure success for blog posts?
- What publishing platforms have you used?
- What’s your familiarity with design software?
- How much time do you spend on both researching and writing?
- What tools do you use or practices do you follow to check your grammar and spelling?
- What are the main guidelines you give to the design team on content?
- Do you have (or did you ever have) a personal blog? If so, what is it (or was it) about?
- What blogs/websites do you follow? Why?
- What’s your least favorite type of content? Why?
- How do you stay motivated during repetitive work?
- Do you prefer to follow specific instructions when writing? Why?
- Describe a team project you worked on recently. Who did you work with, what was your specific role and what did you succeed in?
- What’s your favorite piece of writing from your portfolio? Why?
- Describe a time when your attention to detail saved you from making a mistake.