Web Developer job description
A Web Developer is a professional who is responsible for the design and construction of websites. They ensure that sites meet user expectations by ensuring they look good, run smoothly and offer easy access points with no loading issues between pages or error messages.
This Web Developer job description sample template is optimized for advertising for a website developer on online job boards or careers pages. It is easy to customize with key duties and responsibilities. Feel free to modify this posting to a web designer job description, or for your specific needs.
Web Developer responsibilities include:
- Writing well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices
- Creating website layout/user interfaces by using standard HTML/CSS practices
- Integrating data from various back-end services and databases
Hiring a Web developer? Sign up for Workable's 15-day free trial to post this job and hire better, faster.
We are looking for an outstanding Web Developer to be responsible for the coding, innovative design and layout of our website. Web developer responsibilities include building our website from concept all the way to completion from the bottom up, fashioning everything from the home page to site layout and function.
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices
- Create website layout/user interface by using standard HTML/CSS practices
- Integrate data from various back-end services and databases
- Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs
- Create and maintain software documentation
- Be responsible for maintaining, expanding, and scaling our site
- Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them into operations and activities
- Cooperate with web designers to match visual design intent
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience in web programming
- Top-notch programming skills and in-depth knowledge of modern HTML/CSS
- A solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices
- Adequate knowledge of relational database systems, Object Oriented Programming and web application development
- Hands-on experience with network diagnostics, network analytics tools
- Basic knowledge of Search Engine Optimization process
- Aggressive problem diagnosis and creative problem solving skills
- Strong organizational skills to juggle multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines and budgets with business acumen
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse web technologies and techniques.
- BS in computer science or a related field
Frequently asked questions
What does a Web Developer do?
Web Developers create and maintain websites. They will typically spend time creating coding languages like HTML5, which powers many modern mobile devices and managing the site's technical aspects, such as its performance and capacity to handle traffic without crashing.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Web Developer?
A Web Developer is in charge of ensuring websites look good and function properly. Web developers collaborate with website and graphic designers, monitor website traffic, troubleshoot website problems when they arise, and update websites as necessary.
What makes a good Web Developer?
A good Web Developer will have excellent problem-solving skills. Often, they will need to have the ability to think outside the box to find solutions to complex problems that are not only creative but efficient. In addition, Web Developers must have excellent communication skills to ensure all parties involved are satisfied with the website’s performance, from website development to content management.
Who does a Web Developer work with?
Web Developers typically work in teams that include other Web Developers, Software Developers, Web Designers and IT professionals. However, since they are often at the forefront of new technology, Web Developers can work closely with various individuals from different disciplines.
Hiring Web Developer job description
Post this Web Developer job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.