What is a Full Stack Developer?
The full stack developer definition is “someone who can work on both the back-end and front-end of systems.” This means that they can develop fully fledged platforms (with databases, servers and clients) which don’t need other applications to function.
What does a Full Stack Developer do?
Full Stack Developer duties include:
- Participating in the design and creation of scalable software
- Writing clean, functional code on the front- and back-end
- Testing and fixing bugs or other coding issues
We are looking for a Full Stack Developer to produce scalable software solutions. You’ll be part of a cross-functional team that’s responsible for the full software development life cycle, from conception to deployment.
As a Full Stack Developer, you should be comfortable around both front-end and back-end coding languages, development frameworks and third-party libraries. You should also be a team player with a knack for visual design and utility.
If you’re also familiar with Agile methodologies, we’d like to meet you.
- Work with development teams and product managers to ideate software solutions
- Design client-side and server-side architecture
- Build the front-end of applications through appealing visual design
- Develop and manage well-functioning databases and applications
- Write effective APIs
- Test software to ensure responsiveness and efficiency
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade software
- Create security and data protection settings
- Build features and applications with a mobile responsive design
- Write technical documentation
- Work with data scientists and analysts to improve software
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a Full Stack Developer or similar role
- Experience developing desktop and mobile applications
- Familiarity with common stacks
- Familiarity with databases (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB), web servers (e.g. Apache) and UI/UX design
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
- Great attention to detail
- Organizational skills
- An analytical mind
- Degree in Computer Science, Statistics or relevant field
Frequently asked questions
- What does a Full Stack Developer do?
- The Full-Stack Developer designs and maintains websites and systems to serve a company's needs. They develop these platforms to function independently, not needing to rely on third-party services to remain consistent. They manage the client and server-side of these services, ensuring they're functional and usable.
- What are the duties and responsibilities of a Full Stack Developer?
- Full Stack Developers are responsible for designing and developing websites and platforms. They work with design teams to ensure that user interactions on web pages are intuitive and engaging. They also provide back-end functionality that can run smoothly from any device or browser type commonly used today.
- What makes a Good Full Stack Developer?
- Who does a Full Stack Developer works with?
- Full Stack Developers work alongside Back-End Developers, who specialize in developing and maintaining the server and the technical side of website development. As Full-Stack handles both sides of development, they often collaborate with those specializing in this form of development to ensure consistent functionality.