Are you a candidate?
Crush your interview with our guide
Application Developer Interview Questions
Application Developers work with one or more programming languages and operating systems to design functional programs. Their role is to understand user requirements and build features that meet these needs.
Depending on the seniority level of the position, you may want to look for candidates with several or few years of work experience. For example, for junior positions, a degree in Engineering/Computer Science along with a relevant internship may be enough to qualify for the role. For a senior-level role, look for candidates with solid experience in the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC.)
As with all technical roles, it’s best to use a written assignment to test candidates’ coding skills. Also, keep an eye out for potential hires who are passionate about their field and take on side projects. They’re more likely to contribute fresh ideas, inform their team about new tools and perform well at work.
Operational and Situational questions
- What features would you change/implement to an application to make it faster?
- Do you have an idea of an app or feature that our customers would enjoy?
- How would you ensure the application you’re designing will scale to fit multiple screen sizes?
- What would you do if you discovered that a feature you designed had made the application run more slowly?
- Which programming languages are you mostly familiar with?
- What interfaces do you choose to create a user-friendly application?
- How do you minimize security risks?
- What steps do you take to migrate an application from one platform to another?
- What are the main differences between web and mobile applications?
- How do you troubleshoot a crashing application?
- What’s your area of expertise and what would you like to learn more about? Why?
- Are you currently involved in a side project? If so, what is it? If not, what kind of project would interest you?
- Which of the applications you’ve created are you mostly proud of? Why and what was your role in the development team?
- What are your favorite mobile apps and why?