Surveyor job description
Use this surveyor job description to advertise your open roles and find reliable candidates for your company. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs.
What is a surveyor?
Surveyors estimate property boundaries for construction projects. They also provide useful data for mapmaking, mining, and legal purposes.
What does a surveyor do?
Surveyors measure land features, such as depth and shape, based on reference points. They examine previous land records to verify data from on-site surveys. Surveyors also prepare maps and reports, and present results to clients.
Surveyor job duties include:
- Measuring property boundaries
- Creating records of survey results
- Supervising staff on-site
What skills do you need to be a surveyor?
Surveyors usually hold a degree in Civil Engineering or relevant field and a valid surveyor certificate. They have excellent mathematical and problem-solving skills. These professionals also have the ability to effectively collaborate with diverse disciplines, such as engineers and architects. To succeed in this role, knowledge of CAD software, GPS and GIS systems are important.
When creating your own surveyor job description, make sure to mention these skills along with other specific requirements of the role.
We are looking for an experienced surveyor to supervise field staff and ensure our projects are delivered on time. Your basic responsibilities will also include calculating land boundaries in several locations and creating maps and reports of survey results for clients.
This role requires hands-on experience with engineering instruments and knowledge of GPS and GIS systems. To succeed as a surveyor, you should also have great mathematical and analytical skills, and a good eye for measurements.
If you meet our criteria, and if you’re also organized and detail-oriented with a strong experience in this field, we’d like to hear from you.
- Conduct surveys on land sites and properties
- Examine previous records and evidence to ensure data accuracy
- Research and design methods for survey processes
- Use equipment and tools to accurately measure land features (e.g. longitudes, latitudes)
- Build maps, sketches, and charts
- Supervise and provide guidance to field staff
- Purchase and maintain equipment
- Report on survey results and present findings to clients
- Collaborate with engineers and architects on several projects
Requirements and skills
- Previous experience as a surveyor or in a similar role
- Working knowledge of GPS and GIS
- Tech savvy, including familiarity with CAD software
- Aptitude in math and problem-solving
- Attention to detail
- Great organizational and leadership skills
- Degree in Civil Engineering or a similar field
- Valid certificate is required
Hiring Surveyor job description
Post this Surveyor job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.