Civil Engineer responsibilities include:
- Managing, designing, developing, creating and maintaining construction projects
- Conducting on-site investigations and analyzing data
- Assessing potential risks, materials and costs
We are looking for an innovative Civil Engineer to design, develop and construct a huge range of projects of the physically and naturally built environment from conception through to completion. You will have a say in how the world looks like, work in a fast growing dynamic industry, contribute towards healthy economies and make a lasting positive impact to society.
- Manage, design, develop, create and maintain small-scale through to large-scale construction projects in a safe, timely and sustainable manner
- Conduct on site investigations and analyze data (maps, reports, tests, drawings and other)
- Carry out technical and feasibility studies and draw up blueprints that satisfy technical specifications
- Assess potential risks, materials and costs
- Provide advice and resolve creatively any emerging problems/deficiencies
- Oversee and mentor staff and liaise with a variety of stakeholders
- Handle over the resulting structures and services for use
- Monitor progress and compile reports in project status
- Manage budget and purchase equipment/materials
- Comply with guidelines and regulations including permits, safety etc and deliver technical files and other technical documentation as required
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience in civil engineering
- Excellent knowledge of design and visualizations software such as AutoCAD,Civil 3D or similar
- Proficiency in site layout, grading, utility design, erosion control, regulatory approvals etc
- Project management and supervision skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- License of professional engineer
- BS/MA in Civil Engineering
Frequently asked questions
What does a Civil Engineer do?
A Civil Engineer works on major transportation projects in the public & private sectors. They can specialize in one of several areas of engineering, such as construction, geotechnical, structural, or transportation.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Civil Engineer?
Civil Engineers are responsible for analyzing long-range plans, survey reports, maps, and other data for planning projects. They prepare cost estimates for materials, labor and equipment, ensure building materials are tested for stability and safety, as well as manage the repair, maintenance, and replacement of infrastructure.
What makes a good Civil Engineer?
A good Civil Engineer should have excellent project management skills, effective leadership, technical competence, creativity, and communication. The most important skill they should have is the ability to problem-solve as the projects worked on can be complex, and they are involved in every stage.
Who does a Civil Engineer work with?
A Civil Engineer may work for a Contractor, Owner, Developer, or Program Manager, depending on the project or company. They can report to Project Managers, Construction Managers or Design Managers.