Mechanical Engineer job description
A Mechanical Engineer designs machines like generators and engines, including applications such as elevators. They also develop machinery like refrigeration systems for grocery store food storage areas.
Mechanical Engineer responsibilities include:
- Performing full lifecycle product development
- Designing systems and components that meet needs and requirements
- Conducting experiments methodically, analyzing data and interpreting results
We are looking for a creative Mechanical Engineer to work on all product stages from research and development to design and manufacture, through to installation and final commissioning. The goal is to design and fabricate mechanical components of innovation and excellence.
- Perform a full lifecycle product development (design, develop, test prototypes, manufacture and implement)
- Design systems and components that meet needs and requirements
- Produce outline designs
- Conduct experiments methodically, analyse data and interpret results
- Test and evaluate theoretical designs
- Identify, formulate and produce effective solutions to emerging problems
- Evaluate final product’s overall performance, reliability and safety
- Alter and modify design to meet requirements and to eliminate malfunctions
- Estimate budget and scope of project
- Solicit observations from operators
- Prepare product reports and documentation
- Engage in lifelong learning and develop new theories or methods
Requirements and skills
- Proven working experience in mechanical engineering
- Working experience with product lifecycle management (PLM), finite element analysis (FEA) and computational fluid dynamics (CFD)
- Hands-on experience with computer-aided engineering (CAM) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAE)
- Familiarity with 2D or 3D engineering design and manufacturing tools (e.g., AutoCAD, ProE or other)
- Adequate knowledge of engineering analysis tools (ANSYS, ProMechanica or similar)
- Mathematical computing and analysis tools knowledge (Matlab, Excel, LabView etc)
- Solid understanding of core concepts including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, materials science etc.
- Creativity and analytical skills
- Ability to communicate technical knowledge in a clear and understandable manner
- Technical writing skills
- BSc degree in Engineering
Frequently asked questions
What does a Mechanical Engineer do?
Mechanical Engineers design and develop new devices while also improving existing ones. They analyze the mechanical aspects of these products, focusing on heat transfer properties or durability. Through this, they come up with solutions that will meet industry standards while still being cost-effective enough to be produced at scale without affecting their price point too drastically.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Mechanical Engineer?
Mechanical Engineers are responsible for analyzing mechanical and thermal devices to find solutions for repairs or innovations which will help solve even more complex challenges. They often handle developing prototypes suitable enough to be tested by customers until production begins.
What makes a Good Mechanical Engineer?
Successful Mechanical Engineers have math and science skills. They should enjoy working on complex problems that combine numbers with technological creativity. Using technology is also essential, as they will use various technological devices throughout their work.
Who does a Mechanical Engineer work with?
Mechanical Engineers work with Electrical Engineers. Each applies various engineering principles to improve upon multiple products within their field. As each of their specialties goes hand in hand, the two often find themselves collaborating.
Hiring Mechanical Engineer job description
Post this Mechanical Engineer job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.