Use this Scrum Master job description template to find reliable employees who can effectively coordinate your software development teams. Feel free to modify this template based on your needs.
Scrum Master responsibilities include:
- Helping software development teams apply the Scrum framework
- Planning deliverables and helping teams monitor performance
- Resolving issues that hinder the teams’ work
We are looking for a Scrum Master to coordinate and coach our software development team.
What is a scrum master?
Put simply, you’ll be our go-to person for applying scrum to produce high-quality work. Scrum Master duties include managing timelines, resolving problems and coaching team members on Agile methodologies.
Ultimately, you’ll help create self-organizing teams that are flexible and fully productive during sprints.
Scrum Master experience and skills
You should have excellent knowledge of the scrum framework, with all its artifacts and techniques. You’ll also need the ability to coordinate people and projects (occasionally facilitating changes) with your mind set on deliverables. If you’re a strong communicator, a capable leader and your’re invested in Agile frameworks, we’d like to meet you.
- Manage each project’s scope and timeline
- Coordinate sprints, retrospective meetings and daily stand-ups
- Coach team members in Agile frameworks
- Facilitate internal communication and effective collaboration
- Be the point of contact for external communications (e.g. from customers or stakeholders)
- Work with product owners to handle backlogs and new requests
- Resolve conflicts and remove obstacles that occur
- Help teams implement changes effectively
- Ensure deliverables are up to quality standards at the end of each sprint
- Guide development teams to higher scrum maturity
- Help build a productive environment where team members ‘own’ the product and enjoy working on it
Requirements and skills
- Experience in a scrum master role
- Familiarity with software development
- Excellent knowledge of Scrum techniques and artifacts (such as definition of done, user stories, automated testing, backlog refinement)
- Good knowledge of other Agile frameworks (Crystal, XP etc.)
- Excellent communication and servant leadership skills
- Problem-solving and conflict-resolution ability
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Degree in Computer Science, Business or similar field
- Scrum master certification is a plus
Frequently asked questions
What does a Scrum Master do?
Scrum Masters oversee project timelines and split up tasks so team members are not overwhelmed with too many responsibilities at once. They even take notes during meetings to ensure essential information is shared with the right people.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a Scrum Master?
The Scrum Master is responsible for ensuring that each team member follows the framework of Scrum. They make sure everyone knows their role and helps coach them through any unclear parts while also guiding larger teams using this method effectively.
What makes a good Scrum Master?
Scrum Masters have excellent communication and listening skills because they work with people and need to understand the needs of team members. They also must be experts with time management to ensure projects are delivered on time.
Who does a Scrum Master work with?
Scrum Masters often work with Product Owners, connecting them to the Scrum team and providing guidance on better cooperation. Their work ensures that every aspect of their work goes as planned.