School Social Worker job description
Use this School Social Worker job description to advertise your vacancies and find reliable candidates. Feel free to modify responsibilities and requirements based on your needs. Similar job titles include Behavior Support Assistant.
What is a school social worker?
School social workers help students who have mental, physical, or emotional challenges reach their full academic and social potential. They usually work in school districts and educational settings.
What does a school social worker do?
School social workers build intervention strategies for a wide range of issues that school-aged children face (e.g. bullying, learning difficulties). They collaborate with parents, teachers, and school administrators to ensure children feel safe and happy. School social workers also identify and report on severe problems, such as child abuse and neglect.
School social worker responsibilities include:
- Creating individualized intervention plans
- Referring students and their families to mental health services if needed
- Educating parents and teachers on how to help children overcome their issues
What are some important skills for a school social worker?
School social workers usually have a degree in Social Work or Psychology. They have experience dealing with various problems that children and families face, and they can demonstrate effective problem-solving during a crisis. School social workers should also have excellent communication and listening skills as they interact with people from diverse backgrounds.
When crafting your own school social worker job description, make sure to include these skills and qualifications as requirements.
We are looking for an experienced school social worker to join our team. Your primary responsibility will be to identify mental or emotional issues that our students face and work with them through those challenges. You’ll also collaborate with parents and school staff to create coordinated intervention strategies (e.g. behavioral management).
To succeed in this role, you must have great communication and counseling skills. You should have the ability to connect and empathize with students and understand the root of their problems. If you are compassionate and you love helping others, we’d like to hear from you.
- Listen to students’ issues when they come looking for help, and provide support and discuss solutions with them
- Talk with students who exhibit concerning behaviors to understand their issues
- Identify problems in the school setting, such as bullying or aggressive behavior
- Review students’ medical and mental health history
- Interview parents and teachers of students who face problems to update their records
- Create individualized plans for students who face hardships at school or at home
- Monitor and report on students’ progress
- Refer students and families to mental health services or psychiatric help
- Research new ways to improve children’s wellbeing
- Provide guidance to teachers of high-risk children
- Support parents in facilitating students’ progress
- Report to the proper authorities in cases of physical, mental, or emotional abuse
Requirements and skills
- Previous experience as a social school worker or in a similar role
- Basic knowledge of MS Office
- Experience working with a wide range of issues students’ families face (e.g. domestic violence, drug abuse)
- Ability to effectively communicate with people from diverse backgrounds
- An empathetic and trustworthy personality
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) certification is required
- Degree in Social Work or Psychology; Master’s is a plus
Hiring School Social Worker job description
Post this School Social Worker job description job ad to 18+ free job boards with one submission
Start a free Workable trial and post your ad on the most popular
job boards today.