Special Education Teacher interview questions and answers
Use this sample with commonly asked interview questions for Special Education Teachers to find the best hire for this role.
Are you a candidate?Crush your interview with our guide
A Special Education Teacher works with children with physical, emotional, mental, and learning disabilities. Special Ed Teachers help students achieve important learning milestones by using various teaching methods tailored to the specific needs of each student.
In general, the best candidate for this position will hold a degree in Special Education and will have relevant work experience. Also, it’s an advantage if the candidate can present a sample of previous lesson plans they have developed to demonstrate their teaching methods.
The job interview is the perfect opportunity to search for qualities that are not easily found on resumes. For example, you can test for skills such as conflict management and effective communication which are important when dealing with classroom crises and emergencies. The right candidate will also have a positive personality and will be an advocate of issues such as equality, diversity, and inclusion in schools.
Below, you will find Special Education Teacher interview questions which will help you identify all the must-have requirements for this role.
Operational and Situational questions
- Describe a lesson plan that you put together and implemented recently. Was it successful and how?
- Which teaching strategies do you prefer and why?
- What is your experience with Individualized Education Plans?
- What would you do to integrate a student with learning disabilities in the classroom?
- What methods do you use to maintain discipline in your classroom?
- Describe a time you encountered a major challenge at work, and what you did to overcome that.
- Tell us about how you include parents and support staff in the educational process.
- Describe the most difficult student you’ve ever worked with and why. How did you work with them to succeed?
- What do you enjoy most about teaching?
- Why did you choose to work with students with disabilities?
- What do you hope to contribute to the special education field?
- What’s the biggest challenge/reward in working with students who require special education?
- Why do you want to work in our school?
- How would you build or maintain a positive relationship with a frustrated or angry parent?
- Imagine you have a student with a moderate mental disability. You notice they’re being bullied by a classmate because of their condition, but they can’t defend themselves. What do you do?
You can download a PDF of the special education interview questions below.