This Teacher interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Teacher Interview Questions
Your interviews with candidates for the position of Teacher at your grade school, middle school, or high school should be tailored and highly specific. To make the right hire, you should ask questions that zero in on proven experience with the grade level and subject matter as described in the job description.
In the United States, state, local, and national standards are increasingly important. Same goes with standardized tests. Outstanding candidates will bring in sample lesson plans and show you exactly how their teaching strategies are tied to these standards.
Last but not least, these interviews are a critical opportunity to evaluate what can’t be found on their resumes. You want to find out why they’re interested in this school, what unique qualities they can bring to your team, and what motivates them to do well in this role. This is also a way to get a sense of their relevant interpersonal skills such as how they would discipline students, communicate with parents, and work with leadership to create a positive learning environment for students.
Operational and Situational questions
- When did you decide to become a teacher, and why did you choose this field?
- Why do you want to teach this grade level?
- What do you like about teaching [subject]?
- What’s your least favorite subject to teach? How did you overcome your disinterest in order to teach it well?
- What clubs or organizations did you belong to as a student?
- Are you interested in coaching or advising any extracurricular activities? Which ones and why?
- Describe a recent lesson plan that you put together. How does this guide your teaching?
- How do your lesson plans help you teach to state standards?
- How do you prepare students for standardized assessments?
- What methods have been effective in teaching your subject matter to this grade level?
- What’s your experience with IEPs? How do you ensure that you’re meeting the needs of a student with an IEP?
- How do you encourage classroom participation?
- Describe a time you had to discipline a student. How did you handle it?
- Describe a time you had to calm down an angry parent.
- What’s your approach to communicating with parents? What methods have worked well for you?
- As a teacher, how would you support building a positive and safe learning environment for your students?
- Describe a time you disagreed with a major decision made by school leadership. How did you respond?
- How did you find your visit to our school? What makes you want to work here?
Looking for an all-in-one recruiting solution? Workable can improve candidate sourcing, interviewing and applicant tracking for a streamlined hiring process. Sign up for our 15-day free trial today.Get a free trial