Kindergarten Teacher interview questions and answers
This Kindergarten Teacher interview profile brings together a snapshot of what to look for in candidates with a balanced sample of suitable interview questions.
Are you a candidate?Crush your interview with our guide
Make sure that you are interviewing the best Kindergarten teacher candidates. Sign up for Workable's 15-day free trial to hire better, faster.
Kindergarten Teacher Interview Questions
By the time you reach the interview stage, you’ll have vetted your Kindergarten Teacher candidates for your must-have requirements. These typically include a teaching license, a degree in early childhood education or child development and proven work experience as a kindergarten teacher.
These interview questions are designed to help you evaluate what’s not on their resumes. Use these interviews to learn more about a candidate’s classroom management skills, ability to communicate with parents, and creativity in regards to designing interactive, fun and age-appropriate learning experiences. The Kindergarten Teacher you hire must be able to speak at length about lesson plans they’ve implemented, teaching strategies they’ve used, and the progress of their students. They should also be able to talk about their teaching methodologies and how they keep up with the field of early childhood education.
Look for candidates who are patient, adaptable, imaginative and energetic. Top candidates will have done their homework. Listen closely to see if the approaches they talk about are suited to the families served by your school, or if the education goals they describe match the goals of your curriculum.
Operational and Situational questions
- What teaching experiences have been important and relevant for you?
- How do you stay updated on news and innovations in the field of education?
- How would you help parents prepare themselves and their child for kindergarten?
- What family information is important for kindergarten teachers to know?
- Given our community’s demographics, how would you communicate with families?
- Describe the most difficult parent you’ve ever had to deal with.
- What tips or tricks do you have for establishing a homework routine?
- What do you know about our curriculum?
- How do you handle different learning styles in the classroom?
- Describe a time another teacher used one of your teaching strategies or ideas.
- Describe a lesson plan that you successfully implemented.
- What should your students have mastered by the end of the year?
- How do you handle difficult students?
- What would you do if you caught one of your students cheating on a test?
- What would you do if one of your students got hurt on a school trip?
- What is most rewarding to you about being a kindergarten teacher?
Pro tip: Ask your candidate to walk you through a kindergarten class activity. How would they capture their students' interest in the activity? What is the objective of the activity? How would they end the activity?